Why do people dislike me because i am agnostic?

I just don't feel comfortable picking a side yet and i want to experiences more in life  and learn before i decide what i am i am even unsure if that label would work with me being i "Don't think" there's a god and don't know if there is but if i was to be an atheists  i would still believe in a afterlife but not heaven hell or a god.  but i feel so lost and alone athiest seem just to HATE or dislike people like agnostics...or it feels like that. I Don't think all do though. but why are "some" people like this?

Views: 2026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Understanding is relative to how you see the world. There will always be certain explanations for things we don't fully understand, but whether or not you believe those explanations is up to you. 

What I find beautiful about science and the unknown is that in all of the history of our world, all that we had ever labeled as supernatural or 'magical' has always been discovered to have a scientific reason behind it. Nothing we have discovered has turned out to have a supernatural meaning to it. It's become a pattern in the system. The more we learn the more we understand and the more we see how to world works on it's own. The idea of a creator has, according to some people, become an unnecessary idea because the world functions without it.

But this view, along with many other's, is how I see the world. Perhaps it will help you in the understanding of the way you see things and perhaps it won't.

There are many people here with unusual experiences that could probably discuss your own if you are willing, but I sense that you feel it is a private matter and that choice is completely yours to make.

science cannot always explain everything

If it did life would be very boring. Science can say, "I don't know but I will find out." The beauty of the world is enough for me. That is partly why I am an atheist and how I function as one. Having the view of a God doesn't add beauty or understanding (in my opinion anyway).

You seem to have a lot of unanswered questions?

yep

i wouldn't tell because iv'e been there and there comes a time when you notice somethings will never be understood only will they be known to be understood.

its all how you look at it i don't feel like i would be accepted here if you new the real me if they new the real me i all ready know and im assuming i'd be hated.

You sound like you've been to some horrible sites to make you feel that way! 

I doubt that anyone here would hate you unless you started preaching that we are all going to hell (we've had that on here before a few times). People can get heated in their discussions, especially when it's something they feel passionate about and they feel the person isn't listening or understanding them. There's no hatred though. Most of us here are very scientific and tend to ask for evidence and proof. That's why we're atheists! Lol! A lot of people do speak from personal experiences though.

Perhaps you can just read through some posts in the forums that we've had and see how people discuss things on here on TA. I know that we've discussed personal experiences before but I can't seem to find it! If anyone can find it please link it for Red!

I never considered myself agnostic until after I got out of my militant atheist phase. Now I consider myself an agnostic atheist.

Yes, that's the correct use of the word but when people are flat out not sure either way they sometimes tend to call themselves agnostics. Just agnostic. Not all do it but a lot of people who become atheist go through an 'agnostic' stage when they aren't sure. I know I called myself and agnostic because that's what I thought that it meant and I know others who think that way too because they think agnostic means sitting on the fence. I am also an agnostic atheist!

You are on a journey of discovery that has no set timetable so don’t be too worried about where you’re at. There is no hurry so allow yourself the time to let your thoughts become clearer. You are going the right way about it. It is about asking questions and learning from as many sources as possible and then giving your mind (i.e. you) the chance to process what you have discovered. Then you can revise your beliefs based on these new understandings.

We often mention on TA that a person is an Agnostic because it refers to the lack of knowledge one has in order to make a decision as to whether a God exists or not. We can all understand the concept of a God existing as a logical possibility (Kant) but that does not imply that one exists in reality. I am open to the possibility that a God may exist, so technically I am an Agnostic. However based on the complete and absolute paucity of evidence for any and from what I understand from the various fields of modern Science, I am an Atheist. I have no objective evidence to consider so I do not believe that any Gods exist. I do not believe what other people believe when they tell me about the various gods they claim to believe in.

You do not need to explain yourself to any theist. If you do only do so on a one to one basis. There is no point announcing it to a group of people or you entire family, especially in an aggressive manner. If you do get in a row with anyone over your lack of beliefs ask them to do you a favour and get them to write down their Top 5 beliefs about their god so that you can study them in your own time. Reread that last line.

The main reason that people get annoyed or aggressive with you, or Atheists in general, is that you are compelling them to consider why you are an Atheist. How did someone we have always known “suddenly” become an Atheist? You bring their own doubts to the surface of their minds. They are not as brave as you are. In giving you credit for your opinions and beliefs they therefore tacitly acknowledge that they own position may not be as strong as they had previously thought. They will see you as a dissenter in their midst rather than an individual with her own beliefs. You will not get respect from them for having your own mind. They will confuse your lack of belief as an attack on theirs. They will not be annoyed because you don’t believe in God but rather because you don’t believe what they believe.

Don’t allow yourself to get angry with them or angry with the god that is not there. If you respect their right to believe without mocking it, they will, each in turn, eventually want to have a civilised conversation with you about it. By then your own beliefs will be much stronger and you will articulate them more clearly and reasonably. A little bit of doubt is closer to Atheism than it is to Faith - enjoy your journey.

I'm here because the real problem is with people who've made up their mind to the exclusion of other ideas and the people with those other ideas. I would be quite happy to call myself agnostic, if most of the world were willing to. Science itself practices agnosticism in the sense that skepticism is the key to learning about reality.

I pronounce myself Atheist, solely for the purpose of endeavoring to be a good example of how to be a good person and live a good life in spite of other people's faith and fundamentalist intrusions. An atheist movement would not be necessary, were it not for theistic fundamentalists.

On the latest Atheist Experience show (#847) Matt Dillahunty said, "Agnosticism is not a middle ground between theism and atheism. There is no middle ground. You either believe or you don't believe. Agnosticism is something separate. So you could be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist."

I understand having an aversion to labels. I have people who clearly want to put me into a nice neat container that they can then judge and paint with large brush strokes. They ask, "Are you a Liberal? Are you a Progressive? Are you a Feminist?" Sure I guess I'm probably all of those things. So then they get to assume that all the negative aspects possessed by some of the members of those groups belong to me too. Cara mentioned this about Feminism and I know exactly what she means.

But there is also value in striving for generally accepted terminology so that when we talk about things, we are on the same page, or at least have some place to start a good discussion. I'm an agnostic atheist. I'm an atheist because I don't have a belief in a god. I'm an agnostic because I admit that I have no knowledge of a god (but I also can't disprove the loosest definition of "god"). Now the God of the Bible, that's a whole different story. So many contradictory claims are made about that guy that they can't all be true because they are mutually exclusive.

I hope I don't come across as contentious, but I find Matt Dillahunty's proclamation that there is no middle ground to be a bit ostentatious, and simply false. He has no authority to make such a claim anyway.

There is a middle ground with regard to acceptance of the existence of a deity. The middle ground really is "I don't know." It's an intellectually honest stance if a person has genuinely not gathered enough information to make an informed decision. Saying, "I don't know" is the mark of a good scientist, and a good skeptic. I know plenty of people who are simply undecided.

I am currently undecided about vegetarianism vs eating meat (this is not an attempt to start THAT debate haha... it's only an example that I hope will not derail the discussion). I've heard compelling arguments from both camps. I actually don't know, at this point, which I feel is the better option. I'm agnostic about vegetarianism, and that's not to say I'm not actively pursuing the question. I really don't know what I believe yet. To say there is no middle ground is to negate the whole process of forming a belief.

Anyway... other than that, I agree with you. :D

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service