Why do people dislike me because i am agnostic?

I just don't feel comfortable picking a side yet and i want to experiences more in life  and learn before i decide what i am i am even unsure if that label would work with me being i "Don't think" there's a god and don't know if there is but if i was to be an atheists  i would still believe in a afterlife but not heaven hell or a god.  but i feel so lost and alone athiest seem just to HATE or dislike people like agnostics...or it feels like that. I Don't think all do though. but why are "some" people like this?

Views: 2025

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you sure it's because you're agnostic? ;)

Read Cara's reply and really think about what she says. She hits the nail on the head.

There is no shame in being whatever you are - atheist, agnostic, skeptic, humanist, pastafarian, bright... whatever you call it. Don't worry about what other people think or how they act. If they miss out on your awesomeness, especially for something so silly as your lack of belief or knowledge in the supernatural, that's their loss and their problem. Be yourself... everyone else is already taken.

I wish you best.

Yea I'm sure even had one guy tell me that agnostics need to get of the fence along with telling others that. i was kinda ignoring that reply but inside my head it made me wonder.

I think some people need masses that agree with them to be confident in their own world views, so they target 'fence sitters' first, they see them as closer than the opposition so they believe they will be more easily swayed.  (which is a flawed concept to begin with,  I hated people trying to sway me while I identified as agnostic)

David, I can definitely see that perspective. It is similar to a salesperson's tactics when trying to close a deal. If a male salesperson thinks he has a better chance with an older female customer than an older male, he is going to target the female. He is hedging his bets. Perhaps theists and atheists alike have the same tendencies. I had never really considered it before, but it does seem to jive.

Hrm. Not sure. Could be they're frustrated that you've got enough sense to doubt it but haven't come to the same conclusions as they have.

Seems like it sometimes

Cara Coleen definitely got it spot on. I'm an agnostic atheist and almost every single non-believer I've met is too. We can't possibly claim to know what might exist in some far corner of the cosmos or in some potential alternate dimension. So we are honest enough to admit that it's possible that there is a higher power of some sort. But the question of honesty is why some people give "agnostics" a hard time. There are people who by Cara's definition of "atheist" (which I agree with), are atheist, but don't want to label themselves so. Is it because they wish to be diplomatic and not offend people? Is it because they know that "atheist" is a dirty word to a lot of believers and they don't want to carry the weight of that stigma? Or maybe it's just because they don't understand the actual meaning of the word.

It's not fair for an out atheist to expect you to be as vocal or to advertise your atheism. But some of us have heard, "It's fine if you don't believe in God, but to be an ATHEIST!!!!????" a few too many times. So it could be push back from that. We don't want people who are technically atheists to feed those kind of misunderstandings.

If you don't believe there's a god, you're an atheist, but it doesn't mean you have to shout it from the mountains. But I do understand why there can be a bit of frustration if someone is talking to an atheist who can't admit that they are by definition an atheist. It's probably similar to the frustration I have with so many churches today that are claiming that religion is bad, but they're not religious. I just saw a billboard advertisement for a church that read, "Jesus, rescuing the world from religion." Really? Come on now, that's just not intellectually honest. They know religion has deservedly gotten a bad reputation and are trying to distance themselves from that. But to do so they are ignoring any coherent definition of the word "religion."

All that being said, people shouldn't be dicks about it or expect you to always be on the same page as they are. That's not right.

Best Wishes.

P.S.

When I realized that by the strictest definition of the word I was an atheist, it was like a punch to the gut. My first thought was, "I don't believe in God anymore, but atheists are bad people!" I was in a transitional phase where I still had some of that misinformation from religion stuck in my head.

Your whole post is spot on, and I particularly like this:

They know religion has deservedly gotten a bad reputation and are trying to distance themselves from that. But to do so they are ignoring any coherent definition of the word "religion."

I think people do this a lot with many, many ideologies and definitions. I had recently adopted the label "feminist", but then quickly wanted to disassociate again because of, not only the stigma, but the reality that many of the loudest feminists really do fit the stereotype of angry man-haters. I could even get a lot of flack for uttering as much here on Think Atheist! I am a feminist, but I'm not on board with all the negativity that consumes so many who also share the title. I decided I'd rather keep it simple and call myself Humanist since it's a nice, all-encompassing "ism" that isn't bogged down with a bad rap. Perhaps, by avoiding the title, I'm also "ignoring any coherent definition of the word" feminist! I can at least relate to both the religious and non-religious who don't want to be associated with unsavory characters and reputations.

I do think it's humorous that people think the only way titles or labels apply to them is if they personally adopt them. Denial doesn't change the fact. Being belligerent to those who would still rather deflect the title(s), however, does nothing to encourage them to adopt it (or them).

I went through the same thing with feminism...but then I came to realize there are bad apples in every bunch and by focussing on the worst of the feminists, the foes of feminism were able to undermine it. Part of why I claim the lable feminist is so that people can see that there are "normal" women/people who are feminist. It's the same with bisexuality, atheism, and even political ideologies/parties. You have to own who you are and live it openly if you want to be part of defining what your identity means. 

I do think it's humorous that people think the only way titles or labels apply to them is if they personally adopt them. Denial doesn't change the fact. Being belligerent to those who would still rather deflect the title(s), however, does nothing to encourage them to adopt it (or them).

Yes and yes! Lol.

I still get shit for being a feminist, from men and women and especially from other feminists. I think it is mostly because I am a male - other men think I am a traitor and many feminists think I am trying to take something that is strictly for women.

I think feminism and atheism go hand-in-hand, as I think atheism and liberalism tend to be branches of the same tree. In any case, I like your comparison of feminism and atheism in terms of "bad apples." When do we (atheists) get our "Scum Manifesto?"

People forget that we all considered ourselves 'agnostic' at some stage or another. No one makes the leap from belief to complete atheism in a single bound, or visa versa.

I know that when I was agnostic I WANTED to 'sit on the fence', as they say, because I was unsure of myself and my own thoughts. I didn't trust my judgement and knowledge and I also didn't want to offend people.

This might not be nearly the same as the way you're feeling right now but I do understand the pressure because when claiming my agnosticism to other's they saw me as unwilling to make a decision. People tend to think of that as being a 'wishy washy' way to look at things. Some may think of it as a refusal to even think about the topic at hand, and taking a default position, almost as though you couldn't make up your mind which team to play for so you'd rather sit on the side-line and watch. Often neither are the case and you are simply between thoughts and are trying to find yourself and your beliefs.

What you consider yourself is actually no one's business, especially at this stage when you are trying to find your feet. As you say, you want to experience more in life and learn more before making any decisions. That's your journey, no one else's. 

i don't make up my mind because things have happened i don't understand if its real yet.

but i feel like no one can ever understand that.

and yea i felt like want to sit on the fence too.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service