I think it is obvious that Christianity has become mostly benign and secularized for the most part and I don't see Christians subjugating their women and executing gays in the ways that take place in the Islamic world due to the quran and Hadith (the Hadith is the so-called writings of the prophet and his followers in which Islamic Shariah law is based from); but I see too many atheists tending to bash Christianity and giving excuses for Islam. Why is this so when according to the Islamic faith, we atheists are "kafar" should be the first ones killed before the Christians and Jews (especially me, since I am an apostate since I was "born" a Muslim); therefore, why do atheists tend to give excuses for the true evils of the Islamic faith??

Jesus Christ as a symbol (whether he was a real person or not) is a much better role model than the child molesting, murderous, and evil "prophet" called Muhammad. The Bible doesn't demand governments to be Christian but the Quran demands that all governments be Islamic by nature and the punishments are much more bizarre. In Islam, you can not even ask any questions about Muhammad or Allah but Christians and Jews are able to debate within themselves and ask questions. When a cartoon is drawn or a quran is burnt you see how savagely Muslims act throughout the world and those who are "moderate" instead of condemning the barbaric acts blame the "Salman Rushdie's" or the "Pastor" instead of placing blame on the perpetrators and culture of violence in the Islamic world. So why is it, that Christianity is often (in my opinion) overly criticized and Islam is not criticized enough when the gravest threat to the existence of the human race is surely an Islamic regime with nuclear weapons?? I'd like to get your opinions..

Views: 3766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

George Tiller was murdered by a Xtian terrorist. The KKK is a Xtian terrorist group responsible for an unknown but disturbingly large number of murders and hate crimes. The Hutaree militia was a Xtian group planning to use bombs & guns to establish a theocracy.

You've accused people who call you on your shaky reasoning to be apologists for Islam, but now it looks like you're making apologies for Xtianity. What gives?

Part of why Islam is so barbaric can be traces to the Crusades, when European Xtians invaded and crushed a civilization that was far more advanced in science & culture. It's been the result of centuries of Xtians grinding Islam under their boots that keep Islam in the dark ages. I point this out not to excuse Islam for it's evils, but to illustrate that they are on a par with Xtian evils.

It's been the result of centuries of Xtians grinding Islam under their boots that keep Islam in the dark ages

Via your statements you are definitely one of those illogical, irrational defenders of Islam while "blaming the west" for the problems of Islam while seeming to have little real knowledge on the subject. By making such a statement, you clearly affirmed the notion that I brought forth by this discussion.

Sassan doesn't understand context when discussing geopolitics, you are not to take history into account, it's 2011 and that is the only thing that counts.
You people simply fail to understand Islam for what it is; and I will once again resort to "appeal by authority" as you like to say. I will go with the fact that I believe people such as C. Hitchens, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Musab Hassan Yousef, Reza Kahlili, Sam Harris, and the likes all have more knowledge on this topic in a variety of specialized fields along with my own knowledge, experience, studies, and personal involvement in these areas to feel confident that I am correct in my factual understandings of the realities of Islamic extremism.
If you'd like to discuss the history, we can discuss and talk about it but not on this thread. This thread is not to discuss that.

People are afraid, it's the only religion in the world right now that so freely endorses and promises rewards for violence against anyone who speaks against their religion. They follow through on these promises in front of as much media as they can and strike fear into millions. I posted a video by Sam Harris about this silly even-handedness we sometimes treat religions with. Here is the YouTube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a8NDBiPTcs

Thanks for the link Bryan!!
I do not find it to be the case that Islam is given a pass by most Atheist. Go to youtube right now and look up any lecture or debate by Christopher Hitchens or Sam Harris and try to find them making excuses for, or even going soft on Islam. You're unlikely to find it.

As for the rest of us, though, who aren't out there writing books or doing the lecture circuit, then yes, you're much more likely to hear us talking about Christianity specifically. This is no big surprise in the English speaking world as Christianity is certainly the predominant religion, many of us left Christianity and almost all of us encounter it and it's adherents on a daily basis, so it's no wonder that it's the most frequent example used, or more frequently the specific topic of discussion amongst atheists. We live with it, it's all around us and frankly we're all probably a lot better versed in it's tenets, varieties, sects and history than we are with Islam.

Now as an experiment how about you head over to any other atheist forum on the internet, for instance reddit.com/r/atheism and see if you can find a kind word for Islam. I think you'll have yourself a tough time.

Perhaps you're simply mistaking the right-wing media narrative of Liberals being soft on Islam? This may be true to some degree, there's certainly a brand of cultural relativism out there which is quick to make excuses for Islam, sometimes fairly in the face of criticism which could apply to any religion, sometimes against accusations which are flat out unfair, but which also sometimes unfairly ignores some of the more barbaric specific practices of the religion. It would be a mistake, however, to confuse this with the opinion of self-identified atheists.
Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris are the exception. I am talking about atheists in general - especially those on the left and it does not have to do with media narratives.

People tend to rag on Christianity because it's what they deal with day in and day out. In the West you don't find people trying to pass laws based on Islam for example. Not even in Europe.

But the criticism against Christianity can also be applied to Islam for the most part. There are deeply misogynistic aspects and practices in Christianity and some sects in particular. If people are against that, don't you think they hate the barbarism in many islamic countries even more?

In parts of Europe you do have a big Muslim home-grown threat along with communities wanting and sometimes having their own "Shariah law" communities; so you are right, in America it does not seem to be that big of a deal for people but in Europe people care about this issue much more.

I agree with your latter point but I just do see a lot of people giving excuses for Islamic radicalism; especially on the American political left.

Muslims in Europe are far more segregated and not well integrated. Which does create some real problems. But there is no real threat of sharia law either.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service