What would've happened if we wormhole Titan to orbit between Jupiter and Mars?

Lets assume we as humankind can, not only wormhole the spacecraft, but planets and moons. So, what would've happened to Earth if we pulled Europa to be Mars's third moon? What if we moved Titan in between Mars and Jupiter, setting it to orbit the Sun just like a planet. What would've happened to us? I'm also interested on how many of those small moons we can make to orbit Mars, Earth and/or Titan? Such as Iapetus,Rhea,Enceladus,Tethys and Dione.

I'm interested in this cause, if we moved those filled with ice moons closer to the sun, we might use our flaming torch to melt it down. If we at first, travel them through portal like structures next to Venus. We can heat it up, so it melts faster for calculated time and then send it back towards Mars. Iapetus & Rhea are roughly 1/2 the diameter of the moon. Tethys and Dione about 1/3rd the moon's radius. 363,104 km is from the center of Earth to the center of Moon. Which sized moon will be the safest to orbit our planet and how far (roughly) it must be located from the Moon? I know that our satellite keeps moving away tiny bit year by year. Just to make sure that it will be there till we gather all data on undiscovered elements, use full capacity of water, finishing of with a high tech too dangerous for Earth lab on the surface.

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a) Wormholes may not exist; b) if they did, anything that went through them is almost certainly not to maintain its structural integrity along the way; c) moving something that massive into the solar system might upset the applecart of the status quo with who knows what consequences, making it most likely a bad idea.

If you took Ganymede away from Jupiter and had it orbit Mars...it would notably change Mars's orbit (Mars is smaller than Earth and Ganymede is bigger than our Moon). A Mars/Ganymede pair might even be a double planet with the centre of mass lying outside of Mars  meaning they would both orbit around an axis...as well as revolve around the sun (is anyone able to do the calculations?). If Mars's orbit changes...so would Earth's. I don't know if adding a large moon to a planet half an AU from Earth would change Earth's orbit drastically (anyone able to do the calculations?)...if it did that might put Earth closer to the sun (meaning our oceans would be rather hot or boil away) or further from the Sun (turning the planet into a large snowball). Not very conducive to forming life.

Maybe we can just ask God in our prayers and he will give us the answer in the form of a vague poem.

Maybe we can just ask God in our prayers and he will give us the answer in the form of a vague poem.

I did that and he got back to me in no uncertain terms: "I would do that for you except that you offend me as regards the gays, whom I hate."

It wasn't even in the form of a sonnet or...maybe...a long list of the ancestry of some minor prophet? Better yet...a gory massacre full of delightful carnage and smiting?

Well, give the guy a break! I mean here he is monitoring our every move, keeping track of all of our sins, stoking the hellfires, and you want him to take the time to compose some fancy wording just to make a sinner like you happy?

Sheeesh!!!

I found a website that helps you do the calculations for how Mars and Ganymede would work as a binary planet system here. Ganymede is one quarter the mass of Mars more or less. That puts the centre of Mass outside of Mars meaning they would both revolve around an axis somewhere between the two spheres though closer to Mars. 

As  for guessing how Earth's orbit would change...I found a program that let's you tweak the solar system. This might be pretty dangerously addictive though,

I got the program Universe Sandbox on my computer which lets you tweak the solar system and see the results. It's beautiful and fun and will ultimately be a timewaster...but a good one.

I added Ganymede to Mars in several simulations. No matter what I did...Mars couldn't hold onto it and in every case it took up a similar orbital path as Mars only with a faster orbit velocity. It meant that Ganymede lapped Mars every 15 years or so. I was hoping they might crash into one another but that never happened.

How did it effect the rest of the solar system? A few asteroids/comets changed their orbit though little happened to Earth. It's orbit became slightly more eliptical and after 1000 years it's average temperature dropped 1ºC which might even be a good thing per global warming.

This was very boring so I added three more moons. None of them were held by Mars either. Instead the four danced around one another however still in the same orbital ring. Mecury's orbit became rather unstable but little changed on Earth. So I added 20 moons to Mars and the whole inner solar system went bonkers. Eventually the Earth (and most of the moons) flew out of the solar system...which would probably not be good for any of us unless you like being frozen corpse for several trillion years. A few of the moons crashed into Mars and then this double sized mars/moon flew into the Sun. I'm sure the sun enjoyed the meal.

I also added a black hole near Jupiter (as you suggested) and it eventually consumed all of the planets but surprisingly had a stable orbit for a few hundred years around the sun. It was so boring I stopped.

A program like that is only aware of so much and can thus be of only limited reliability. Chaos theory tells us that very small changes, omissions, or approximations can cause very huge aberrations that can be unpredictable in linear modeling is virtually always linear. 

While 1000 years is a long time to humans, it's not inconceivable that a change that has little effect in that time span could be causing chaotic problems in a million years.

Do you know if the model predicts any big changes to our solar system within the next million years or so?

First...as unseen said...it can only be so reliable. The more you speed it up, the less the less accurate it can be (there are about 1000 moving objects and their movement is calculated in 100 frames per second...each object effecting one another. At the speed I had Mars flying around (1000 years in an hour or so) it was 2/3 reliable (so it said). My computer can't handle 1,000,000 time span...and in any case...I'm sure a thousand different simulations over 1,000,000 years would show a thousand different results (even with the exact same settings).

Intuitively I would guess that adding that moon (which Mars cannot hold onto) would eventually disrupt the inner planets (maybe the outer?) ... but my intuition was wrong most of the time as I expected the black hole to swallow everything including the sun...and I expected Mars/Ganymede to be a double planet.

I think there is a free version if you want to try it yourself and there are a few other simulators that aren't as memory hungry (though Universe Sandbox is very beautiful).

Far-fetched? Certainly. I would hate to think our uncooperative civilization would have to resort to hauling celestial water to meet our resource squandering needs. My thirty dollar a month water bill would probably go up a little if that is what become necessary.

Are people here still taking anything this guy says seriously?   I see below, that even "Unseen" generously decided to answer the question as if it emanated from a rational mind.  Spoiler alert - I DOESN'T!

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service