Okay, so I frequent an online chat room moderated by youtube apologist/egomaniac Shockofgod.  I have to say about him and the experiences I've had with other atheists and christians there, but there's just one small point that strikes me as odd.

It seems to me that, at least in that forum, the longer a religious discussion goes on, the more likely it is that it will tend to become a Physics discussion... in other words, not a religious discussion.  I think this is odd because physics is a field of study that the average person knows little to nothing about.  I'm going to be taking Physics in college next semester, and I personally wouldn't have been eligible to sign up for it if I didn't have adequate grades in Calculus (and I suspect that the courses I took in Chemistry will come in handy too).  Consequently, I'm amazed that your average joe christian who lacks formal education (and might even be adverse to "evil" colleges) feels that, after reading a couple articles on *enter website here,* they are an expert on the subject qualified enough to ram their "knowledge" down other people's throats and ignore all opposition.  So, if you ever want to live through the surreal experience of being lectured on the intricate details of a field of study as complicated as fucking PHYSICS by a thirteen year old christian apologist who owes his confidence to a couple articles found on Answers In Genesis, then by all means, go visit Shockofgod's online chat room.

So why Physics?  I'll tell you why; it's a copout.  It's a cover for an otherwise general lack of evidence of the existence of any god.  For instance, you'll hear numerous modern christians opining that their god is "beyond mankind's capacity of understanding" or that he "exists somewhere outside the universe."  Well here's something to consider:  NOBODY knows what exists outside the universe.  Isn't awfully revealing that apologists cherry-pick some intellectual grey-area and plant their god there, all the while professing absolute confidence in their being correct?  Why not plant a god in a place that humans have significantly more knowledge of?  The answer is this:  It's been done before.  Once you understand that religious types once said that gods lived on mountains (before we explored them), and then they said that they lived in the sea (before we explored it), and then they said they lived somewhere in the sky, or space (before telescopes or before we understood exactly what clouds, the sun, and the moon are), and NOW some of them say that god exists somewhere "outside" the universe, then you've discovered what I call the "retreating god" dilemma.  Every time we learn something new, the discussion changes.  And now it's physics.  Well, whatever.

My first exposure to Physics was in my junior year of high school.  I never thought it'd be relevant to my career in the future, so I skimmed by with B's and C's.  I wasn't the only one; in general, the entire class seemed indifferent to Physics.  If only I or my instructor knew that the key to getting adolescents interested in Physics is religion, then maybe I would have invested more interest in the subject.

Anyway, in the interest of making this a discussion instead of a rant, have any of you had this experience before?  Better yet, have any of you ever felt that a christian could convert you with a Physics related subject like the Big Bang?  I ask because I've met christians who claim to have been atheist who became christians once they "learned" about physics.

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-40 is a standard no school day for most of Canada.  Yellowknife waits for -45.  The coldest that I've ever experience was -57 and I had to be outside in it for most the day; fortunately the company I worked for provided us with survival gear that was pretty incredible.
-57 degrees sounds dreadful. One thing I like about Virginia (and it is about the only thing I like) is that it is never ridiculously cold. It can be "cold" in the winter but not New England or Canada cold, both of which I have endured far too much of.
Worst I had was manning an observation post outside for 8 hours in -35 with gale force wind in a high humidity environment while defending a decommisioned fort in the middle of the North Atlantic against an assumed invasion force from the dismantled Soviet Empire. :)
I can honestly state that that is worse than -57 with no wind because at -57 there is no humidity - although your nose dries out really really fast. Who the hell are you anyway - Jame Bond? ha ha. I know you Norwegians do your mandatory service and get some very interesting experience for it - did you do some extra?

I did the bare minimum. I got my papers stating I was going to the Coastal Artillery fort and was extatic that I would sit inside a nice warm fort shooting big cannons out over the ocean.. Then I found out I was in the smalles branch within the smalles branch of the military being a coastal infantryman (comparable to marine infantry). Absolutely no 007 about it, just a lowly quartermaster after ended service.

We were so chronically underfunded that once we debanded (off machine gun bullet bands) 200k bullets all evenings for one week and rebanded 100k of them the next week because the machinegunners were running out of banded bullets.

Only real fun was being markers (enemies) in a ~20 nation Partnership for Peace excercise to train for Kosovo similar missions.

As an experience it was quite remarkable, though I would not have repeated it if I could avoid it.

I think such service is a good thing for building a national identity. Of course I have not experienced it so I guess that is pure conjecture on my part.
Best thing about being Norwegian and having served my country is that it's impossible to attack my patriotism as I rip it apart and expose the many flaws it has, which, along with the bountiful praise it also deserves, is one of my favorite pasttimes, :)
wow, thats cold. Here in Delhi, the worst it gets is near 0 & even that is difficult for me to handle, but on the other hand, I can easily take +45 during the humid monsoon period without an AC. :P
Hi temps are very difficult for me.  When it is 35 and high humidity here I am very unhappy.  The kitchen I worked in last summer would get up to 45 at times and volunteered every time anything was needed from the coolers so I could go in there to get a break from the heat.
I guess it all depends on where you live, huh?
Very much, although when you live in a place like the middle of Canada where temps can go down to -45 in the winter and get up to +38 in the summer it is difficult to get used to anything. Fine tuning be damned!
atouch! That is some temperature range to live with.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service