Forgive me if I sound naïve or a little slow on the uptake, but is it a joke? Surely no one is that stupid, right?

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, they sure go to a lot of trouble and expense, travelling all over the US to do their thing.

So I suspect it's not a joke.  (However, Landover Baptist *is* a joke, one worth checking out.)

WBC is so "out there" most Christians loathe it.  However, it seems to me they are the only ones out there actually following the (supposed) Word of doG.

It's hard to take accusations that the Westboro Baptist Church is a deep undercover liberal organization but when I read the things that Fred Phelps said and done ... especially just before he died ... I sometimes wonder how much of him was sincere and how much was satirical spectacle.

Sign a petition to make them a hate group after you check this out.

When even the KKK thinks you're overdoing it, that's when you've gone too far...

Thanks for the link Reg...done and done :)....yes we must sign that petition. They are a hate group. They do not get to hide behind their holy book for their illegal activity.

Hi Dante, That is an interesting point. Poe's law comes to mind:

Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism or fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.

To be honest, at least the WBC is preaching about their book more honestly than most other churches.... Yahweh really does appear to hate homosexuals (and eating shellfish, and wearing mixed fabrics, and a multitude of other things)

Hi back.

They seem to think they are the only ones out of 9 (or is it 8) BILLION people who are going to be saved. That must be either idiocy, self importance, delusion, or a joke. I'm not sure I can retain my belief in human decency and believe they are doing it because they truly believe in hatred of random things.

It is possible that the WBC is more despised by the cherry-picking Christians than most atheists? Seems they practice what the average preacher conveniently forgets to mention on Sundays, and they really don't like to be reminded of the fundamentals of their perfect book.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" 

is so much more uplifting than:

"'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Christian: "But that's the old testament laws....."

Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: 'The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat.  So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach.'

Nate Phelps (son of Fred) is an interesting activist and atheist.

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. — Luke 19:27 (King James Bible)

Oh no. This is no joke.  My husband's cousin and her husband and children attend WBC. I met her for the first time at his family reunion in 2014 and she spoke in great lengths about how proud she is of her congregation's "passion to educate the masses." From what I can tell, what you see, is exactly what you get with them. 

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service