How to make knife crime skyrocket. It's easier than you think.

People who want a gun control "success" to point to often refer to the UK. And there are fewer gun deaths in the UK. But, you know what? There are now an unsettling number of knife incidents there! "In the UK, the rate of knife violence is approximately one in every 374 people victimized, compared with a rate of one in 750 people victimized by gun violence in the United States." (source)

So, naturally, the folks whose approach to every problem involves banning something (you know, because it's worked so well with drugs) are talking about eliminating knives as much as possible. In fact, if they keep it up and succeed, it'll eventually turn out  that candlesticks and fireplace pokers will have to be made out of flubber! and baseball players will have to get their nerf bats out of a police lockup. That is, if they can pass the psychological hurdles.

One of the craziest notions related to knives is that some British physicians association (none of whom must cook for themselves, apparently) have decided that in the UK, long cooking and kitchen knives should not have points! They claim that they consulted 10 chefs who told them long pointy knives aren't essential in a well-stocked kitchen. First of all, no professional cook I've ever talked to about this would feel a kitchen lacking big pointy knives would be well-stocked. Secondly, I'd like to point out that cleavers are knives without points, and so I suppose you can't do much damage with a cleaver(?). 

The point of this post is that banning weapons won't ban murder. You can't ban carpet knives or box cutters because knives, while they can be used as weapons, are among the most useful of tools. Even if it's a knife, like a combat knife, specifically designed for the kill, it can still cut a shoulder strap to get an unconscious accident victim out of a car or dress a deer or chop twigs for kindling. More than one person has been saved from fire or drowning because another citizen had a knife on his person.

If we have a murder problem, it's not a hardware issue, it's a personnel problem.

Views: 509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure where the US became the subject matter. Was I perceived at some point to be making a point regarding US gun violence? I was actually disputing the oft-given observation that you can kill a lot of people with a gun but not with a knife.

Gun massacres are a rarity even in the US. They may be more common than elsewhere, but in a country of .35 billion (to use your figure) rampage shootings are a microscopic part of the gun violence picture. Because they are often used in mass killings, many gun control aficionados want to zero in on full- and semi-automatic weapons. However, hand guns account for about 80% of gun deaths and if there is any category of guns that will not be effectively controlled anytime soon, it's handguns.

BTW, the Supreme Court struck down gun control in Washington D.C. and since then gun deaths have DECREASED.

In the UK, since gun control was tightened up, overall violence has increased. Polls indicate people there feel less safe.

I'm not sure where the US became the subject matter.

In the first paragraph of the OP, last sentence.

I can't tell if you're cherry picking statistics. Violence in the U.S. has decreased significantly, regardless of gun laws. You're implying a causal connection to gun laws without sufficient evidence. I don't know enough about statistics for the U.K., except that I've already seen (as I mentioned earlier) misrepresentations of U.K. statistics comparing apples to oranges, i.e. a flaw in the method of measurement.

Granted, I care a lot more about this issue wrt the U.S. debate about current constitutional interpretations of gun rights. I'll leave now so as to not mess with your progress in other collective opinions and concerns.

Ah, I see what you jumped on to bring the US into the discussion. It was just a comparison between the UK and other countries.

You know what they say about statistics, but everybody uses them.

I know violence has gone down in the US despite no changes in gun laws, implying that controlling guns is neither here nor there at best. Changing attitudes may make the difference, which is what I've always thought was the key.

I've been the victim of a serious knife attack (about 20 years ago). I KNOW knives can be dangerous. There is also that recent case of a deranged high school boy going around and stabbing a substantial number of his classmates. Knives have the potential to be just as dangerous as a firearm. 

A little history. It is my understanding that a number of Eastern martial arts weapons began their existence as farm tools. Why? Because the peasantry was forbidden from possessing or owning weapons in Oriental feudal societies and they simply converted the use of what they had. Banning weapons just leads to people being creative. So far they've used the following items for mass carnage in the last five years or so: knives, pressure cookers, fertilizer, cars, airplanes... I'm sure someone here can come up with several more. :) The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution says nothing about guns. It speaks of arms, that is, any personal means of offense or defense which includes knives, guns of any kind, rpgs, tanks, armor, bullet proof vests, life preservers, personal safety equipment... you get the idea. My point is here is that people start talking about banning things without actually understanding WHAT they are banning or the consequences of the banning process. In the United States it would be a direct attack on due process, property rights, and self-defense to ban guns or other arms. 

Sorry, I'm beginning to ramble a little... the stupidity around this topic is a sore point with me.

I agree, and if you've been reading, I'm not promoting banning guns or knives but just highlighting the hysterical aspects of the gun control movement and the unintended consequences of controlling guns. For example, in the UK a burgeoning knife culture. 

Also, clearly, in the UK the bad guys still carry guns and gun crime still exists.

@Unseen, tell me to remove this post if you want and I'll move it elsewhere. It's a strange story about knife violence... I'm trying to understand "what the hell is going on" here. :)

I'm not sure how to apply this to my post. China is another culture, even if it is true that ordinary citizens don't own guns there. I do know that, as the story notes, mass stabbings do occur in China with greater frequency than in the West.

Yeah, and according to the video, it happens to children?!

I'm not sure how it applies to your post either, but do remember you pointing out how up close and "personal" knife violence is, compared to gun violence.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service