Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed.
Hunger Facts: International:
* During a year in the U.S., nealy 100 BILLION POUNDS of food - including fresh vegetables, fruits, milk and grain products - are lost to waste by retailers, consumers and foodservice establishments.
* More than 1 in 10 U.S. households experience hunger or are at risk of being in hunger.
* Over 9 million people die worldwide each year because of hunger and malnutrition. Of these, 5 million are children.
* According to the U.N.World Food Programme, the total U.S. food surplus wcould satisfy "every empty stomach in Africa". It cost the nation around $1 billion annually to dispose of all it's food waste. (EPA)
* Food rotting in landfills contributes to global warming. Landfulls are America's primary source of methane emissions, and the second-largest component of landfills are organic materials.