William Donohue is the face of the Catholic League. For years he's been saying something very offensive. His organization continued the tradition on Valentines Day. On a day for love, the Catholic League spread their vile hate instead. A religion that prides itself on forgiveness and unconditional love has an American face that judges homosexuality as deviant, yet this church based on love does nothing to stop the Catholic League from equating pedophilia with homosexuality 

David Letterman recently was mocking the Pope saying that he was leaving his post due to neck problems from constantly looking away from the abuse. Of course this didn't sit well with the Catholic League so they had to respond to the comedian, because that's what serious organizations do. In the bit Letterman referred to the priests as "creeps". The Catholic League has this to say in response to calling abusive priests creeps: Link

 (Though he didn’t cite gays by name, we all know who he meant.) In fairness, just because most molesting priests have been homosexuals, doesn’t mean that most gay priests are molesters. Moreover, when the homosexual scandal was going on (mid-60s to mid-80s), therapy and rehabilitation were sold by the liberal elite as the preferred means of redress.

The fact is that we all know that sexual abuse is based on power. We also know that priests spend more time with boys than girls. We also know that boys would be less inclined to report sexual abuse or be believed, especially at the times that many of these abuses occurred. So who do these priests have power over? It's no different in the Boy Scouts. Yet here is the PR face of the Catholic Church in the US claiming that homosexuality is the cause of priest abuses in the US and through out the Church. How in the world are they going to address the problem if they don't even understand it? How could the not be judgmental and loving if they really think that homosexuality leads to raping children? It's absurd. I'm straight so little girls are now a sexual object for me? Shouldn't we see similar numbers of incidents between priests and girls or at least a portion of the abuses being caused by the "straight" priests? We don't because it's a crime of power and opportunity. 

The Catholic League is a defacto arm of the church itself. They are listed on the Official Catholic Directory. There is a degree of separation, but it's slight. The reality is that this view does not seem to be different from that of the official actions of the church legally and otherwise. The denial of reality. The separation of themselves from the actions of the few, which are in the hundreds if not the 1000;s all around the world. Catholics, you know homosexual people. Is there anything about a homosexual man that tells you that they are after your child? Maybe it's time you read the Bible again Mr. Donohue. If you could simply point out the place where it authorizes you to judge others, I would appreciate you pointing it out. If you find it, I may have to point to your gluttony, or blindness and balding as signs of the curse of Aaron the Priest and question your place as God's messenger. 

"Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken; No man that hath a blemish of the seed of Aaron the priest shall come nigh to offer the offerings of the LORD made by fire: he hath a blemish; he shall not come nigh to offer the bread of his God. ... Only he shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries." -- Leviticus 21:17-23

Views: 205

Comment by Ray R. on February 16, 2013 at 5:17am
William Donohue is a vile , hateful , bigoted , disgusting excuse for a human being .
Comment by SteveInCO on February 16, 2013 at 10:33am

Well Ray's comment about sums it up, at least as far as it can be without profanity.

I thought once this guy was some extremist yahoo with a small following.  Then I discovered one day that this organization has a membership of over 100,000 -- that's based on my admittedly imperfect memory. 

That, if anything, is even more disgusting than Donohue is. Extremists can be found (just look at Westboro Baptist Church) to defend anything.  That there are this many people on this man's side is nothing short of horrific.

I just tried to verify the membership number on Wikepedia, and for some reason that page--and that page alone--won't load!

In desperation I went to the Catholic League's site.  I still didn't find their membership figures but I did find this whine:

Absolutely. Harvard professor Arthur Schlesinger, Sr. once observed that prejudice against the Catholic Church was “the deepest bias in the history of the American people.” Mount Holyoke College professor Peter Viereck commented that “Catholic baiting is the anti-Semitism of the liberals.”

And today’s brand of anti-Catholicism is more virulent and more pervasive than ever before in American history. While it is true that Catholics as individuals have made progress in securing their rights, the degree of hostility exhibited against the Catholic Church is appalling. Quite simply, Catholic bashing has become a staple of American society.

Waaaaaaaah!  "appalling"?  Shithead, that's a small down payment on what you deserve.

Comment by Doug Reardon on February 16, 2013 at 4:12pm

Yeah, the number one sect of the number one religion in the U.S. is being bashed!  Of course they are never ever the bashers!

Comment by Dale Headley on February 16, 2013 at 5:23pm

What "Ray R" said!

Comment by Heather Spoonheim on February 16, 2013 at 9:47pm

The problem with Catholic priests seems to be that 98% are making the other 2% look bad.

Comment by onyango makagutu on February 17, 2013 at 8:56am

Heather, you got me laughing! They really should abolish the priesthood 

Comment by _Robert_ on February 17, 2013 at 10:42am

And the problem with Catholic cardinals and bishops seems to be that 99.9% are making the other 0.1% look bad.

Comment by Richard E. Robertson on February 17, 2013 at 8:53pm

+1 to this posting. 'Nuff said.

Comment

You need to be a member of Think Atheist to add comments!

Join Think Atheist

Forum

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 42 minutes ago. 53 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 12 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 15 hours ago. 40 Replies

where when how who why ?

Started by aubrey knows nothing * in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 16 hours ago. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service