Sunday Morning Service
15 MAR 2009
Links of Interest
'Rise of the Godless' from the March issue of the National Journal
- "In the past, politicians in Washington and elsewhere could largely ignore the Godless. But those days are over. With their numbers growing, nonbelievers are intent on pushing a political and legislative agenda governed more by cool reason than by faith." Download the PDF reprint of the full article here.
An article written about Sir Arthur C Clarke shortly after his death.
Clarke was the first to conceptualize the idea of communication satellites orbiting earth and most famous for his science fiction novel 2001: A Space Odyssey
. Clarke denounced religion and was a steadfast atheist, once stating "One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and morality have a necessary connection." His last published work was entitled The View From 2500 A.D.
in which he envisioned a world where man had finally abandoned gods and religion.
Freethunk Comic Collection.
Comics about free thinkers, atheists, and other non-believers.
Anti-atheist prejudice widespread in America
- An interesting article written by Zac Smith, a student at The University of Oklahoma, and an atheist.
The Last Question, a short story by Isaac Asimov, written in 1956.
‘Young man in a hurry’ prodded Darwin
- A fascinating article about Alfred Russel Wallace, who came to the same conclusions about 'natural selection' as Darwin did. Before Darwin had published his work! Wallace's inquiry to Darwin about his idea provided a nudge of confidence contributing to Darwin publishing On the Origin of Species
Rolling Back Religious Liberty: Virginia Group Attacks Church-State...
- Stephen Strehle (a religion and philosophy professor at Christopher Newport University) believes the First Amendment restricts the freedom of believers, and interpretations of it seek to exorcise religion from public life. He is seeking a 'New Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom' that would essentially have the government be based on religion (and run by it).
Atheists In Prison, What Are The Facts?
- A post by Adrian Hayter questioning the accuracy of the claim that less than one percent of US prisoners are atheist. This is a real eye opener! Make sure you've read this article before using the 1% of prisoners
Things on T|A You Might Have Missed from the Last Week
Morgan posted a Welcome Page for new members of Think Atheist.
Is faith justified pragmatically?
An article where AtypicalAtheist asks if there are pragmatic or philosophical grounds that justify a moderate christian belief for some.
50 Reasons I Reject Evolution.
A satire piece that Sophie found and shared with us.
Refuting Way of The Master part 1, part 2, & part 3 posted by Meta.
DonExodus refutes the Ray Comfort & Kirk Cameron movie Way of The Master
Three articles posted about the survey results indicating the decline of religion and increase of non-belief. Breaking News: America becoming less Christian, survey finds
by Doone, More Americans Say They Have No Religion
by Rick, and Religious Groups Losing Members, Atheists Gaining