Sunday Morning Service
12 APR 2009
Links of Interest
The Jesus Quote You’ll Never Hear in Church
- Christians condemn the violent language in the Koran; but most don't realize the New Testament contains some violent language too. Jesus essentially says: obey or I will kill you
. - On a related note, check the Skeptic's Annotated Bible on their rundown of Cruelty in the New Testament
Teenage Atheism on the Rise
- A survey cited says belief in God among teens fell from 54% in 1984 to 37% in 2008.
Vatican Rejects Obama's 3rd Ambassador
- "So now it appears that not only must the U.S. ambassador to the Vatican be Catholic, they must oppose legal abortion as well."
Newsweek is Wrong: Christian America is as Strong as Ever
- This article is a MUST READ
reminding us that although belief is on the decline and non-belief on the rise, the war is not over. Just because a poll shows religion losing ground does not mean the Religious Right has stopped fighting.
Things on T|A You Might Have Missed from the Last Week
What Do YOU Do During a Prayer?
- Cary poses the question: "What do you do during prayer?" and "What do you do when you are asked to pray?"
- Morgan found another great video by QualiaSoup.
Compass: Australian Documentary About Atheists
- GG posted a link to an episode of Compass
, a show that investigates religion and faith; but for this episode they take a look at atheism. Well worth watching.
Massimo Pigliucci Recap
- Pam shares some information about the Massimo Pigliucci presentation she attended.
"How are you happy with no god?"
- Many atheists might almost take this as a rhetorical question because they are happy with no god. Odd though is that theists might also think its rhetorical, but for a completely opposite reason: they can't fathom being happy without a god. Kris takes the time to answer, and thus providing a little prod to the rest of us to think how we might answer the question.
The Happy Agnostic
- "Even though you can't cure a cold, you can always take some pills to make you feel better. I don't want to cure christianity, I just don't want to suffer from it. Atheism is the pill.
" A great article from Misty.