I have found numerous reports on various sites that the Iowa GOP has a new proposed platform. (full platform on Scribd; Raw Story article and summary; RadioIowa report, which is the most legitimate report I've found) Their old platform was quite a bit out there, especially in the abortion area, but this new one is much more broad in the lunacy. The numerous planks-of-crazy are too numerous to mention, but they include things like:
- Only teach evolution as a theory, along with creationism.
- Reject the teaching of multiculturalism.
- Repeal compulsory school attendance laws.
- Oppose federal anti-bullying legislation because, after all, “students have the right and responsibility to stand up for themselves.”
- Repeal all hate crime laws.
- Build a fence along the entire U.S. border with Mexico.
- Require candidates for president to prove that they are “natural born citizens,” beginning with the 2012 election. After all, non-citizens serving as president have been a longstanding problem in American politics.
- Reject the “claims” of global warming, which are “based on fraudulent, inaccurate information” and pushed by people using “extremist scare tactics.” The Iowa GOP “recognizes” that policies and laws designed to combat global warming are really “a plan to take our freedoms and liberties away.”
- Oppose the imposition Shariah, or Islamic religious law, in the United States, along with any other foreign or “United Nations Law.”
(**List excerpted from this article at the SPLC's HateWatch blog)
Once again I must say that the direction in which our country is heading is scaring the hell out of me. I never thought I would say this, but if one of these idiots is elected as President and he/she begins to push this crap (or stuff like it) as law I'm moving out of the country.
FSM help us all.