1. the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled: often personified or treated as a positive agency: Chance governs all.
2. luck or fortune: a game of chance.
6. a risk or hazard: Take a chance.
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion: the firm faith of the Pilgrims.
5. a system of religious belief: the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
*Note: From Dictionary.com, I took out the definitions that don't apply what I'm talking about.
So I just walked in and out of my office to hear this over used phrase, "...you just have to know that God has a plan..."
When dealing with one's life, isn't leaving something up to "faith" that same as leaving it up to "chance?" How can you activily encourage a person to not take control of their life, and let it up to chance? This is one of my problems with religion. It makes people less likely to take control, or responsibility for their lives and to leave it up to chance. If you ask me that is being a terrible friend. If someone comes to you with a problem, how does telling them, "God has a plan," help them? It doesn't you have proved that you, yourself are worthless as a problem solver.
I guess the phrase that comes to mind with people you believe God is sorting out their menial lives is, "fucking idiots."