Does anyone know anything about sueing someone?

In 2009 I let a friend move in because he was homeless. He agreed to get a job, but he never did. He never paid a dime of rent or utilities like agreed, and when I tried to kick him out, he threatened suicide. So I let him stay from January to September. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. He was abusive and kept saying he was going to kill himself, and I couldn't afford to pay for the apartment by myself anymore, so I got evicted. I moved in with my mother.

Now, can I take him to court to get my money back?
There were over $1000 damages to the apartment we lived in that I am still paying on. (I will finish paying next week)
I have all documentation that he lived there. However, the agreement to pay rent was a verbal contract. He was NOT on the lease, but his mail and bills came to the address.

What do I need to ensure I will win my money back?
Do I have a case? Do you think I can get some money back?

Views: 57

Comment by Dave G on January 29, 2010 at 2:24pm
I'm no lawyer (and I highly recommend that you talk to one to get an opinion that holds some weight), but my understanding is that verbal contracts are hard to enforce.
Comment by Laura on January 29, 2010 at 5:26pm
I am a lawyer - though I must give the disclaimer that since I know very few facts of your case, this does not constitute legal advice, nor am I creating an attorney-client relationship by posting this. Okay. Your best bet is probably small claims court. They are pretty much designed for people to represent themselves - it's simple, it's cheap, it's quick. If you win, depending on the jurisdiction, you'll likely get your money back. Verbal contracts are still contracts - they're just harder to prove. You should do some internet research finding your county's small claims court and procedures and go from there.
Comment by girlatheist on January 30, 2010 at 2:25pm
Laura is right. Small claims court is the best possible option. Both times that I have had to file in small claims court, I have been contacted by the producers of some TV Show (ie: Judge Judy). I was on People's Court once. ( I lost, but it was fun talking to Judge Wapner and I got $250 for being on the show). Good Luck!
Comment by a7 on January 30, 2010 at 2:41pm
sounds lke a case for judge judy.
Comment by charles windheim on January 30, 2010 at 4:55pm
get over it and move on. youcan;t squeeze blood out of a turnip!
Comment by Chris on January 31, 2010 at 10:19am
Do you have proof that he caused the$1000 damage? A police report? If not live, learn, and move on.
Comment by Misty: Baytheist Living! on January 31, 2010 at 12:22pm
I say beat the shit out of him. Take what he owes you in applied hospital bills. Full knee reconstruction will run him about 30,000$ but a broke nose or busted jaw will be about a grand!
Seems fair to me.


You need to be a member of Think Atheist to add comments!

Join Think Atheist

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service