So I went into a creationist DeviantArt group to see if they had any good arguments to hold up their silliness...and of course, they didn't.
I went in respectful; I was honestly just trying to see what their argument was for why they don't think evolution works, and why they think dinos coexisted with people...because I can't even make that leap of logic.
I got shut down pretty quickly by the leader of the group, who insisted that I was a troll for disagreeing with them and putting up an argument to counter theirs.
What I found in this rather lengthy conversation (at least 12 pages back and forth) with this guy was this:
- Many creationists think that atheism =communism.
- Many creationists think that atheism= immorality...which I find funny, because his criteria for being a 'good christian' would make me a pretty good one, aside from absolute belief. (no abortions, no core partying, no drinking, no drugs etc)
- He thought that evolution was part of a belief system/atheism. (atheism=religion, according to them)
- Evolution is false because nobody was there to witness the beginning
- Evolution is false because they confuse it with spontaneous generation (Jeez, at the end of the convo he STILL didn't want to acknowledge that he had the two confused)
- The spontaneous generation argument; complex life comes out of nothing. (stupid.)
- Evolution in science class is violating their freedom of religion because it's an 'atheists' point of view.'
- They think that creationism should be taught 'as an option,' with evolution...in philosophy class.
- They think that, because we want evolution in science class, (an actual science) we are cultural marxists that want to use the government to further our beliefs (no shit. he actually called me that, several times, and the irony in the statement couldn't be spread any thicker)
- They think they're right because...the bible says so. Everything else is wrong...it doesn't matter how much proof you have.
- When I brought up the arks' impossibilities, along with Adam and Eve, he shrugged off the science because it had to be wrong...why? Because the bible says it happened. And if the bible says it happened, it happened. That was his logic. That's it.
- This one made me laugh; I brought up the talking snake in Eden. He said it was plausible because the oxygen/atmosphere back then was thicker and it could have effected a snakes vocal cords, giving it the ability to speak. (this he took from me, when he said how come humans couldn't have existed with dinos. The oxygen was much too potent for humans back then)
The hilarious part of this is that he used science to back up his supposition when he completely disregarded any science because it disagreed with his biblical account.
...meaning they only accept science as fact when it is convenient for them. Unfortunately, that is nothing new. I've seen this one happen almost hundreds of times.
They twist fact to fit the bible, not change their thoughts to fit the facts.
- All atheists are 'emo cutters' as he called it, because we don't have god in our lives. He went further on this subject to say that suicidal people are some kind of corrupt people and made them out to be terrible people. This was particularly insulting to me because I've known many people who ended their own lives...and his complete lack of compassion, as a Christian, was downright fucked up and hypocritical.
- All atheists want to push their views on others; this 'pushing of views' is us wanting equal rights, I found out. By not wanting religion in government is a communistic/fascist approach.
- All of the founders were Christian and they did not want separation of church and state. I showed them evidence to counter it, but they disregarded it completely because they thought we were founded on Christianity. I countered that with the treaty of tripoli, and they called me a fascist. I took that as a win for me.
-Finally, they disregard scientific fact because it is all 'subjective', and can all be seen differently from different perspectives. (branching from their silliness about dating fossils and missing links)
This directly contradicts their absolutism of laws and history, according to biblical laws and such. If they think EVERYTHING is subjective, then that means any god is just as plausible as their god. NO god is just as plausible...which means your faith is almost nonexistent...which is blasphemy.
And let's not forget that science is objective. Meaning it can't be subjective.
Overall, I've come to see how many contradictions this religion really has.
It's so full of holes, there's hardly any substance at all.
Furthermore, most of them don't know what atheists believe, and don't know that political views aren't associated with atheism.
The worst part of this is that, after this really long discussion with him, he wouldn't change his mind on a damned thing. I presented loads of evidence, politely noted that he was mistaken in the realm of knowing what evolution is...and none of it really got through.