What is a bright?
* A bright is a person who has a naturalistic worldview
* A bright's worldview is free of supernatural and mystical elements
* The ethics and actions of a bright are based on a naturalistic worldview
A naturalistic worldview is free of supernatural or mystical deities, forces, and entities. If you decide that you fit the description above, then you are, by definition, a bright.
On http://the-brights.net/, you can simply say so and, by doing so, join with other brights from all over the world in an effort to change the thinking of society—the Brights movement.
Reason and Purpose
Currently the naturalistic worldview is insufficiently expressed within most cultures, even politically/socially repressed. To be a Bright is to participate in a movement to address the situation. (Note: the upper case Bright signifies someone who fits the definition and registers on the Web site.)
There is a great diversity of persons who have a naturalistic worldview (free of supernatural and mystical elements). Some are members of existing organizations that foster a supernatural-free perspective. Far more individuals are not associated with any formal group or label. Under the broad umbrella of the naturalistic worldview, the constituency of Brights can undertake social and civic actions designed to influence a society otherwise permeated with supernaturalism. The movement's three major aims are:
1. Promote the civic understanding and acknowledgment of the naturalistic worldview, which is free of supernatural and mystical elements.
2. Gain public recognition that persons who hold such a worldview can bring principled actions to bear on matters of civic importance.
3. Educate society toward accepting the full and equitable civic participation of all such individuals.
This is all information courtesy of the Brights' Net homepage.
The immediate reaction of theists to the term bright is to claim it is insulting to be consider others as non-bright, or dull. This is a misapprehension. The term brights use to describe theists is "supers", that is believers in the supernatural.
Last updated by Nelson Feb 12, 2009.