When I found out I was pregnant, I was devastated. The father wants nothing to do with the child and wanted me to have an abortion. I am Pro Choice, and I have always said that I would have an abortion if I ever got pregnant. I am only 20 years old, I can barely take care of myself, let a lone a child. But when it came down to it, I couldn't do it.

I knew that someone out there would love my baby, so I decided to not get an abortion, it felt like it was the right thing to do. I also knew my aunt and uncle were looking to adopt so I went from Kansas City, Missouri to Boston, Massachusetts. My uncle is a doctor, and they offered me a place to live and are taking care of me, anything I need.

I thought it would be a little vacation. I hang out in Boston for a few months, maybe stay and get an apartment and go to art school, who knows. But here lies the problem. They are Messianic, if you aren't familiar with that form of Christianity, then "Jews For Jesus" pretty much covers it. They are very much so into their faith. They also already have 3 children who are all home schooled.

I had a conversation with my aunt last night and discovered not only is she a theist who believes in Creationism, she is a Conservative Republican (which usually go hand in hand) who thinks Sarah Palin "is a very intelligent woman" and declares "all I watch is Fox News!"
After that conversation, I really started to question myself. Should I really be letting these people raise my child as their own?! Or Should I try to take care of my child by myself?

This is the hardest decision I have ever made in my life,
I do have 7 months to think about it, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this,
please someone help me make the right decision! lol

Tags: Fox, Jews, News, Palin, Sarah, adoption, baby, for, jesus, pregnancy

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

I did the whole knocked-up mom thing too (but in college, not high school) and it's great that you were able to grow up & take care of your kid, but there's no reason to guilt trip anybody about this. we all got pregnant the same way - by having sex. There's nothing wrong, shameful, or immature about having sex, aand none of us here knows a thing about the conditions of her birth control or choices. It's really, really great that you're a devoted mom. I chose the same path, but I don't imagine it's right for everyone or that it's easy. My kid & I lived in my car for a month when he was 2. Just thinking about that - living in a station wagon, with everything you own, and your 2 year old baby. Don't pretend like this shit is easy or like love is all you need.

Also, my ex has been court ordered to pay me $350/month since Jan. 08. I haven't received one payment.
It won't be easy, but nothing good in life is. Parenthood is the most amazing journey anyone can have. I don't think anyone in any position-- from the wealthy married couple to the poor single mom-- ever doesn't find themselves feeling alone, frustrated, freaked out, ready to run, whatever, at some point while parenting. That's just how it is. But my favorite time of the day is snuggling up at bedtime with a book and my two daughters, reading 'til we fall asleep. Nothing else can replace that, and when I'm looking back at the past and how hard some of it was, I know I'd live it over again just because I couldn't trade my life for a different one without my girls. I think you'll find the farther you get into your pregnancy, the less you'll be OK with giving someone else the life inside you. Single parenthood is not easy. Don't let anyone kid you that it is. But it's not impossible and you can still have the life you want for you and your child. You just have to work harder and not give up. My sister is a hardcore Christian and I don't agree with her views, but she's a fabulous mom. In fact, I think she outshines me as a mother in numerous ways. I'm sure your aunt and uncle will also be very good parents. So, your decision is not easy. It's up to you, and if your decision is made with the good of your baby in mind, you made the right decision and should never feel guilty.
Have you thought about doing an open adoption? I'd advise doing a little research on it. Also if I were in your shoes I'd go to my local planned parenthood and discuss all the options with them. There are all sorts of resources out there to support you in your decision making process and to support you after you have made your decision. If you haven't already (I see your post was in December) I would at least talk to your aunt and uncle to let them know you haven't made a final decision yet and may not for a long time. Anyways, regardless of your choice I wish you nothing but the best. :)
Hell no. What you've described is the worst possible family for any child to grow up in. It will mentally cripple the child forever.
I agree with this. Brain washing is child abuse. Please don't give these folks another kids brain to rot. Being wealthy isn't everything ,at the end of the day we die with nothing.
You're in a hard spot, I wish you the best.

RSS

Discussion Forum

It was pretty much like this.

Started by Lewal. Last reply by Lewal Feb 26, 2013. 2 Replies

Coming out to my catholic parents

Started by Colleen. Last reply by Colleen Feb 20, 2013. 18 Replies

Being an 'out' Atheist at work.

Started by Zombie Atheist. Last reply by Jens Schwaiger Oct 10, 2012. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service