Morrissey: Chinese People Are A 'Subspecies'

Posted: 09- 6-10
Huffinton Post

Morrissey

Singer and songwriter Morrissey described the people of China as a subspecies because of the way they treat animals, and he is is standing by his remarks.

The outspoken former Smiths frontman, a longtime vegetarian and animal rights advocate, told the Guardian Weekend magazine:

"Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies."

The interview was done by poet Simon Armitage, who told the Guardian:

"I thought at the time it was a dangerous thing to say into a tape recorder. He must have known it would make waves, he's not daft. But he's provocative and theatrical, and it was one of dozens of dramatic pronouncements. I'm not an apologist for that kind of remark, and couldn't ignore it. But clearly, when it comes to animal rights and animal welfare, he's absolutely unshakable in his beliefs. In his view, if you treat an animal badly, you are less than human. I think that was his point."

Morrissey has been called a racist before for lyrics in songs such as 'Bengali in Platforms' and 'Asian Rut,' and for the anti-immigration comments he made to NME music magazine in 2007.

But he's not backing down on this one. He later said in a statement:

"If anyone has seen the horrific and unwatchable footage of the Chinese cat and dog trade - animals skinned alive - then they could not possibly argue in favour of China as a caring nation. There are no animal protection laws in China and this results in the worst animal abuse and cruelty on the planet. It is indefensible."

Check Out the 2,929 Reader Comments HERE:

Views: 198

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, you are only guessing what Morrissey meant.
Here is an example of the terms "subspecies" and "race" being used interchangeably:

www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/571004/subspecies

And yes, in the sense that some people refer to an ethnic group as a "race" the Chinese ARE a race. And the Chinese DO abuse animals in ways unfathomable to Westerners. I'm amazed at how many people here are more upset at the word Morrissey used than the practises the Chinese engage in.
Yes, I did read my own link but you did not. 19th century scientists believed the sundry human ethnicities COULD (not WOULD, as you say) evolve into separate species if kept in isolation from each other. That's why the link I posted says subdivisions of the human species "MIGHT (not WOULD) later evolve into separate species." You quoted this yet did not read it or absorb its meaning. And yes, globlisation has largely precluded this potentiality.

I know how foie gras is produced, but relatively few people eat it. Nevertheless there are animal rights activists opposed to its production, and the production of eggs or any animal products for human consumption. One of Morrissey's points is that there is NO animal rights movement in China to end or even curtail any of their many barbaric practises. See the difference?

The abuse of animals is EVERYWHERE in China. Google accounts of disgusting animal markets in Shanghai, the attempts by the Chinese to hide some of their more revolting animal gastric creations from non-Chinese before the Beijing Olympics, and the destruction of endangered species for traditional Chinese medicine. As there is continuing nationwide abuse of animals in China and NOTHING to even slow it down, it's not "racist" to characterise China in such a way.

The Chinese execute political prisoners for their internal organs. The Chinese government regularly arrests and holds people in prison indefinitely, without trial, on mere suspicion of wrongdoing. China's misogyny results in groups of young girls committing suicide together, and female babies in rural areas being dumped in the woods to die of exposure or be eaten by animals.

China has little concept of human rights, so why would anyone expect them to have a better attitude toward animals?

If anything Morrissey should be thanked for using his celebrity to direct attention to this. It amazes me that there still exist weenies who get more upset over his choice of a word that's not even "racist" than they do over the neolithic attitudes of the Chinese towards animals and people.
You say you are not going to pursue conversation with me anymore, then ask several questions about whether I'm an atheist, etc.

Well which is it? Do you want me to answer the questions or not? And you accuse me of using faulty logic?

The Chinese animal rights group you linked to was started all of four years ago. I wish them well but, if you find yourself actually trying to convince diners not to lunch on spaniel or moggy your cause is likely lost before it has begun. Good luck with that. Since it operates under an authoritarian regime I give it another year or two until the local tyrants swat it aside as the annoying distraction from Chinese economic growth they perceive it to be.

Thank God (!) censorship lovers pounced on Morrissey before he organised his first death camp. Should he continue with such expressions spontaneous Klan rallies might start breaking out at his concerts.

Since you asked 1) I stumbled across the TA site whilst googling the Morrissey story. I had never heard of TA before.

2) I'm a Deist. I don't necessarily believe in an Abrahamic God and I can empathise with atheists. I find the subject of the universe's origins fascinating. If you do not believe the universe was created you are by necessity saying it created itself. That does not make sense, and it is one of the reasons I'm not an atheist. But that does not mean I believe the creator is a bearded old man perched upon the clouds, watching our every move.

The idea that the universe is eternal is nonsense. If it was infinite it would have had infinity to cool down. But the universe is 2.7 degrees Kelvin, indicating it has not been here forever. There is not a shred of evidence for the "multiverse", nor that our universe is merely the latest permutation of a forever expanding and contracting one.

3) I'm from the UK and an animal lover but no, I do not work for Morrissey. Thank you for informing me of the other discussion groups on this many-faceted site. 4) As I've just arrived I'll check them out, when time away from my work and three kids permits.
@Adriana-

"Melodrama"? How about "humour"? Perhaps you meant "Please Sam, spare us the humour" because the "Chihuahua Chow Mein", "Klan Rallies", and "bad bad man" remarks were attempts to inject humour into this otherwise grim dialogue.

Personally I don't find pigs "cute" but I suppose it's a matter of taste (pun intended). Where would you say Mastiffs rank in the looks department?

For those who equivocate the eating of dog/cat with that of pig/cow: most human cultures avoid eating land carnivores. For that matter, so do most animal predators. Of course there are exceptions. Apparently this stems from, amongst other things, taste. In general, carnivore flesh tastes disgusting (I wouldn't know), because of the types of bacteria/toxins in the carnivore's flesh said to be a result of/prerequisite for/eating nothing but the flesh of other creatures.
" Morrissey should be thanked for using his celebrity to direct attention to this." ?

This is the equivalent of thanking Harold Shipman for drawing attention to Help The Aged.
Awol: please take a Creative Writing class. That "Harold Shipman" analogy is all over the internet.

Let's summarise the situation:

Morrissey- a bad, bad man for using a not that bad word. Neither he nor his followers have harmed any Chinese people (as far as we know).

Some Chinese people- bad for chowing on Chihuahua chow mein, but not as bad as Morrissey for using a not that bad word.
Please forgive my ill attempt at a unoriginal and distasteful joke.
I am new here to this forum, but i already get the impression it doesn't take much to set you off Sam :)
Awol, the "creative writing" remark was an attempt at humour. I'm not set off, sorry for appearing mean spirited.
Yes, millions. China's population is approximately 1.4 billion people. If only a tiny fraction of them ate dog or cat twice a year it adds up to millions.
No, I did not label all Chinese as dog or cat eaters. I said "if only a tiny FRACTION (of the 1.4 billion Chinese) ate tortured animals it still adds up to millions a year.

And I know that not all dogs eaten in east Asia are skinned alive. They are prepared in a variety of ways.
I think it's much ado about nothing. Morrisey didn't say they are a subspecies he said he couldn't help feeling it. There is a difference. And as others have said it isn't necessarily a racial comment.

I happen to feel that god lovers are a subspecies. I don't care where they live or what their ethnic background is.

It's a feeling not necessarily rational or reasoned but more probably tied to the limbic.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 13 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service