As a human who knows I am an animal, I want my fellow humans to stop tyrannizing all the other animals.  I want to see some "fairzy squarzy", some application of the golden rule,  I want kindness, empathy, compassion, and respect for our fellow animals.  So, now for my question.  Does the idea of animal rights conflict with atheism.  As an atheist I have trouble with the concept of "rights" as in "God given rights".  The U.S. Constitution does not grant any rights, but simply acknowledges that god gave us these 'rights'.   So, since no god gave us anything, he didn't give anything to the other animals either.  Therefore, from where do "rights" come?  

Tags: Constitution, animal, animals, atheism, rights

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

"Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away; they're privileges." -Carlin.
We have the freedom to do whatever we want to anyone or anything we choose. It is only in the framework of society where we see the benefit of not indulging every whim of our imagination. The US constitution attempts to layout a framework for a prosperous society assigning privileges to citizens until break rules and lose said privileges.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Another Vegan Baby Death. :(

Started by Misty: Baytheist Living!. Last reply by Misty: Baytheist Living! May 24, 2013. 25 Replies

Is It REALLY None Of My Business?

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Misty: Baytheist Living! May 23, 2013. 27 Replies

Where do rights come from?

Started by Dogly. Last reply by Jake Morrisse May 23, 2013. 1 Reply

Meat-Eating and Human Evolution

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Philippe Orlando May 19, 2013. 2 Replies

NATURE CURE

Started by GOPI KANTA GHOSH Mar 20, 2013. 0 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service