The deniers are constantly bombarding us with false arguments against the health benefits of choosing to be Vegan or Vegetarian. Many don't care that the meat they consume comes from factory farms where animals are abused and tortured. They also could care less about the impact of meat production on the environment and it's impact on Climate Change.
Get the facts, set them straight.
Please add any informative articles you run across here for easy access.
Vegetarian diets: what do we know of their effects on common chronic diseases?
"There is convincing evidence that vegetarians have lower rates of coronary heart disease, largely explained by low LDL cholesterol, probable lower rates of hypertension and diabetes mellitus, and lower prevalence of obesity."
READ MORE HERE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19321569
Here's what the National Institute of Health have to say about vegetarian diets:
A vegetarian diet focuses on plants for food. These include fruits, vegetables, dried beans and peas, grains, seeds and nuts. There is no single type of vegetarian diet. Instead, vegetarian eating patterns usually fall into the following groups:
* The vegan diet, which excludes all meat and animal products
* The lacto vegetarian diet, which includes plant foods plus dairy products
* The lacto-ovo vegetarian diet, which includes both dairy products and eggs
People who follow vegetarian diets can get all the nutrients they need. However, they must be careful to eat a wide variety of foods to meet their nutritional needs. Nutrients vegetarians may need to focus on include protein, iron, calcium, zinc and vitamin B12.
Common Anti-Vegan Arguments (How to quickly refute the same lame excuses that are always trotted out by a meat-eater)
by Michael VeganVeg de Vere
Note:This is the result of my being rather tired of hearing the same old excuses from so many meat-eaters and typing all the same responses over and over. It's now so much easier to cut and paste from here! Much of this was lifted from other sources without permission. My apologies to those authors. This was done "for the animals" and not for any profit on my part.
If Everyone Went Vegetarian for Just ONE Day – The Fact’s Speak For Themselves!
If everyone went vegetarian just for one day, the U.S. would save:
* 100 billion gallons of water, enough to supply all the homes in New England for almost 4 months;
* 1.5 billion pounds of crops otherwise fed to livestock, enough to feed the state of New Mexico for more than a year;
* 70 million gallons of gas — enough to fuel all the cars of Canada and Mexico combined with plenty to spare;
* 3 million acres of land, an area more than twice the size of Delaware;
* 33 tons of antibiotics.
If everyone went vegetarian just for one day, the U.S. would prevent:
* Greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 1.2 million tons of CO2, as much as produced by all of France;
* 3 million tons of soil erosion and $70 million in resulting economic damages;
* 4.5 million tons of animal excrement;
* Almost 7 tons of ammonia emissions, a major air pollutant.
DO YOU KNOW… “18% of all global Green Houses Gases are from the consumption of MEAT and DAIRY?”
Of course most vegetarians and vegans seem to know about the global implications of eating meat and dairy these days, however if you have family and friends who are still walkign aroudn with their eyes closed off from the real truth and not up to speed with all the issues surrounding animal agriculture or the benefits of veggie living then why not send them this brilliant video… and with ‘Save the Human – Stop Global Warming’ as the center of it’s communication you can’t go wrong!
Not only this, but the meat itself is gross. The animals are infested with parasites and diseases that spread to the humans that consume them. After seeing Food Inc. I committed myself to start eating more organic foods and less meat.