I was just wondering what you guys think of the difference between the two countries when it comes to religion. From my perspective, I've always been an atheist but since moving to the US I'm much more active. I'm not sure if this is because I discovered the work of Dawkins, Harris, Hitch and the rest or if it's because religion is so much more in your face in this country. But I do know that atheists are pretty despised down here. Which seems quite different from how the climate is in Canada. 

Anyway, what do you think? Is it easier/more respectable to be an atheist in Canada? 

Views: 45

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

yeah. i mean i'm in LA so it's not THAT bad. but i know there are places in this country where it's still pretty awful for people who don't drink the kool-aid.
Definitely way easier than what I've heard about in the States. If a religious person found out I was atheist they would probably just shake their heads and say jokingly that I can't really be serious.
I would definitely say it's different. Opposite ends of the scale, really. Canadian's have a more European percentage of atheists and (I find) are more understanding. Its the difference between "Freedom of Religion" vs. "Freedom from Religion". (Which, interesting side note, is why we came to this half of the world...)

As an American, I can clarify :) Atheists are considered vile and anarchists in the U.S. I know, because I am one of them. It is better if you live in a big city, but in the country, where I am... it's rough. 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Discussion Forum

seperation of church and state

Started by pat. Last reply by T A A Apr 29, 2012. 16 Replies

Canadian vs US Atheism

Started by Jay Malone. Last reply by Troy C Jul 25, 2011. 5 Replies

Happy Thanksgiving (?)

Started by kris feenstra. Last reply by kris feenstra Oct 11, 2010. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service