Hi Everyone,

Just seeking some advice here.   My sister-in-law and her family just lost the rescue dog they recently adopted--a Doberman that was saved from a HORRIBLE situation where it was chained outside, starved, neglected, etc.  Very tragic!  They had only had the dog (authorities guessed she was about 4 years old) for about a month and last night she had a massive heart attack and died suddenly and unexpectedly.  The family is heartbroken.  This comes after they lost their beloved German Shepherd who died of a pretty rare disease at the age of eight about a year ago.  

We have e-mailed expressing our sympathies, and my husband sent the video "All Dogs Go to Heaven" thinking it would help the kids (they are 12, 10, and 7), but I keep thinking we should do more.  We won't call yet, at their request, which I understand.  My sister-in-law said she can't have a conversation yet without crying hysterically.  I'm just looking for any advice on how to best express our sympathies.

I have my "first" dog that I have had as an adult (she turned four this year) and I know how absolutely devastated I would be if I lost her.  Any advice?  Thanks in advance.

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

First, I'm so sorry for your loss. Second, thank you for taking the time to reply and offer your advice. I really appreciate it and it helps a lot. I think you're right...we'll give them space and time to grieve and just let them know we're here when they're ready to talk.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Modified Johnny Cash for Doggies...

Started by Gloria Stevens. Last reply by Gloria Stevens Sep 19, 2011. 1 Reply

28 Elbow Kisses...

Started by Gloria Stevens. Last reply by 3equ3cp1fsw0n Sep 18, 2011. 3 Replies

What Do You Get from Your Dog?

Started by Gaytor. Last reply by Judith van der Roos Aug 28, 2011. 16 Replies

Doggie ESP?

Started by Gloria Stevens. Last reply by Gloria Stevens Jul 25, 2011. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service