Let’s start Sunday with an atheist beer, the only beer not to give you a hangover!

A mother wins her fight to stop children being discriminated against by the religious. Stories like these always report Christians have threatened atheists with death. Many of their leaders are still encouraging them to vote for Trump.

Atheism 2.0 with Alain de Botton. Let me know if you get what he is talking about.

Maryam Namazie talks about the dangers ex-Muslims face from religious Islamists.

An atheist in Illinois takes a fresh look at Columbus Day.

Newt Gingrich wants pastors to run for office to fight against “Totalitarian Secularism”.

This weeks’ Woo: Alternative medicine is not medicine.  

Quacks misuse the word “Quantum” everywhere at the same time but is my perception of them just an illusion?

Iranian’s see Trump as dangerous but to whom, Iran or the US?

Pakistan enacts laws to help protect women.

Is the justice system criminal?

Science is what made America great but Trump is leading a Confederacy of Dunces.

A look at the impact of The God Delusion first published ten years ago.

Religions should lose their tax-exempt status.

Science looks at the genealogy of myths and their similarities amongst different societies and diverse cultures.

The complexity of simple bacteria and the origins of life.

Black holes and the arrow of time.

Climate Change: Earth is at its hottest in 115,000 years.

Ten things we did not know last week. Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil.…..

Coffee Break Video: Debunking the Watchmaker Argument. What you need to know about CRISPR, the gene editing technology.

Views: 217

Replies to This Discussion

Have a great week everyone!

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.

--George Bernard Shaw

Thank you so much Reg......:)
Thanks, Reg!

These stories will keep me reading for hours.

I forget how many reboots we are on as atheists.  Most seem to fizzle out.  I think 2.0 sounds like applied humanism, which seems like a better name.  Being atheist does not promise humanistic principles

I would love to see Columbus day reimaged as Native American day.  I would also love to see more places, rivers, mountains, given Native American names, as happened with Denali.  Starting with renaiming stratovolcanoes in the Pacific Northwest, such as changing Mt. St Helens to the melodic "Lawetlat'la", and Mt Hood, "Wy'east".  Those changes would inspire more interest into the stories if those who named them, as opposed to who the hell is St. Helens (A British diplomat, not a US Amarican)?  Why name a volcano for this Hood guy (A British Admiral who fought for the British, a losing battle against the French, in the US war for independence)? 

Nice intro to some aspects of gene-editing.  On the question of should we make a species extinct, mosquitos are a main target.  They spread diseases that disable and kill millions of humans.  Here us a link to a respected Nature article on that topic.  They are not good about separating extinction of individual, especially harmful mosquito species, from the many other species with ecological benefits, but there is a lot of information about the general benefits and risks.

That's really interesting about the phylogeny of myth.  It's different, but I think there is a parallel in this family tree of religion.

Thanks Reg as always.  A fascinating interview with Alain de Botton about Atheism 2.0. 

I totally get what he's talking about, or enough anyway.  He's saying that religion is about a lot more than believing in God, especially, it offers a ritualised and organised way for people to come together in community and generally cope with life.  Think Atheist has some of these aspects. 

I see my morality project as firmly within the bounds of Atheism 2.0 and when it's far enough advanced I'm going to show it to the School of Life, in the hope that they can make a professional job out of it; although they'll probably ignore it like [nearly] everyone else. 

Before I started it, I pestered Alain de Botton to see if he would like to take it on, and he was very kind and sweet about saying that he doesn't have the time and that I should do it.  So I can report that in person he is a very nice guy. 

RSS

Discussion Forum

Sunday School May 28th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton Jun 1, 2017. 35 Replies

Sunday School May 21st 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton May 23, 2017. 16 Replies

Sunday School May 14th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Daniel W. May 14, 2017. 8 Replies

Sunday School May 7th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton May 10, 2017. 8 Replies

Sunday School April 30th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer May 1, 2017. 7 Replies

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service