May 3rd was the National Day for suspending the First Amendment. Meanwhile atheists in Wisconsin try to prevent the sleep of reason. It is not a laughing matter.

Atheist Ireland welcomes a police investigation into Stephen Fry for blasphemy. Blasphemy Laws are a problem wherever they exist as they are used to muzzle free speech.

Some writers mean well but I find their articles tedious in their misunderstanding of atheism.

Jesus is Mything in Action.

The Pope who quit as his gods' representative on Planet Earth has warned that radical atheism is as bad as radical Islam.

This weeks’ Woo: All this debunking is thirsty work.

Climate Change: We should be thirsting for a better future for our children.

Can bacteria help us understand religion and could brain lesions be linked to fundamentalism?

Advances in the 3-D printing of wearable technologies could make us bionic so don’t be in denial about what the future may hold. It’s not like we will be growing brains in a laboratory when no two brain cells even have the same genetic makeup.

How Edgar Allen Poe imagined the Universe and William Baumol imagined the modern world.

The Peer Review process is important before any scientific study is accepted.

Some self-help from a scientific viewpoint.

Ten things we did not know last week. Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil.…..

Coffee Break Video: The Universe is 100 billion dog years old.  Is moral disgust just bad evolution?

Views: 124

Replies to This Discussion

Have a great week everyone!!

“This crime called blasphemy was invented by priests for the purpose of defending doctrines not able to take care of themselves”.

and

"In a world of cruelty, sympathy is a crime, and in a world of lies, truth is blasphemy".

Robert Green Ingersoll.

Thanks, Reg!

Thank you Reg!!! I need some self-help this week. lol

I think the "Bacteria" link is well worth reading - (of course they all are!!)

I think it's a good analogy, but maybe not a perfect one.  Valerie Tarico likens religious ideas or religious belief to a bacterial infection which follows its own genetic agenda but has a side-effect of benefit or harm for the host.  I think this is nearly right, but sometimes, the explicit agenda of the "bacteria" is to benefit the "host". 

"Is moral disgust just bad evolution?

- this is an interesting video: Sapolsky says that that both physical and moral disgust are processed by the same part of the brain.  This would appear to be an example of "motivational autonomy" where a previously evolved function becomes available to be used in additional, appropriate contexts. 

What the connection is, is unclear.  Presumably, physical toxins are harmful to life: and moral transgressions are also harmful to life in the sense that morality evolved as an adaptation aimed at survival.  This seems to show clearly that the human moral sense is an actual entity in its own right, and it is fundamental to humans to care about whether it is violated. 

Sapolsky also supports the idea that "being different" is seen as "wrong" at some level of the human psyche.  This means that if you're not doing things our way, you're doing them the wrong way. 

All I can say to that Simon is Yuck :-)

Thanks, this looks interesting.  Short and clear, that's good.  I'll get it and see what he's got to say. 

RSS

Discussion Forum

Sunday School May 28th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton Jun 1. 35 Replies

Sunday School May 21st 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton May 23. 16 Replies

Sunday School May 14th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Daniel W. May 14. 8 Replies

Sunday School May 7th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton May 10. 8 Replies

Sunday School April 30th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer May 1. 7 Replies

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service