Pope Cuddles has accepted the resignation of the Bishop of Limburg for not following in the footsteps of Jesus. The other German bishops are starting to worry about the drop off in taxes as people quit the Catholic Church.

Maybe the Catholic Church will soon be making money selling carrots.

England has much to be proud of now that same sex couples are allowed their human rights. Maybe some Catholics should start eating Pope Cuddles carrots to help them see through the darkness of their Christian sickness.

Some other Christian think Atheists like Bill Maher should be whipped for slandering their non-existent god. They even want to bring back blasphemy laws. Jesus must be turning in his grave!!

Who is Sawan Masih?

Also in England things are moving in the right direction as church attendance has halved in just over 40 years.

Atheism is more complex than a mere negation of religion.

Sometimes even the Bankers don’t like Atheists.

Sam Harris on Waking Up.

This is a good article on the how and why human populations are living longer.

An interesting development in medicine with the creation of safer vaccines.

An update on Climate Change and its impact on the world will be published soon. Can Evolution outpace rapid climate change?

Some more on Cosmic Rays and Inflation Theory.

According to a Texas judge it is not an “undue burden” on women’s rights for them not to be able to procure an abortion.

A critique of the film God’s Not Dead.

A homeopathy company recalls some remedies because they contained real medicine.

Sex starved Goblins have been terrorising school teachers in Zimbabwe. This pastor in Oklahoma should learn to banish demons by easing back on the power of his prayers.

Coffee Breaks Video: Science helps amputees and a debate on Christianity and Secularism.

Tags: atheism

Views: 271

Replies to This Discussion

The Sam Harris article is fascinating. 

I looked up Sam Harris' "The Moral Landscape" on wikipedia.  It says: 

• Harris identifies three projects for science as it relates to morality: (1) explaining why humans do what they do in the name of "morality" (e.g. traditional evolutionary psychology), (2) determining which patterns of thought and behaviour humans actually should follow (i.e. the science of morality), and (3) generally persuading humans to change their ways.  

I've done (1) and (2) but there may be more that can be added.  I'm nowhere near (3).  This is a different kind of challenge.  I think I need to come up with as much as I can on my own, then there will be something for other people to run with.  At the moment I haven't completed the picture of morality, which nevertheless is a finite subject area I believe.  What I've got doesn't appear to float people's boats at all.  That's OK in some ways, it's because it's very profound, and maybe people need to be led to profound things in small steps and roundabout ways.  I've found it is very useable and easy to apply but it's just one or two aspects of a rounded complex situation. 

But I find it's giving birth to some useful new information. 

@ Simon. Point (3) could be attained more readily if people stopped deriving their morality from ancient texts and from what they are told to believe imaginary gods demand of them. Of course we can only get to that place if we understand the full implications of points (1) and (2). These means viewing the reality of our existence with what the modern tools of Science can allow us to do rather than theologically based soundings that have no authority, for they are built upon nothing of substance. Point (3) can only be attained through rational discourse within a secular framework. It has to be taken seriously and without people speaking as delegates for imaginary sky gods.

My framework can be fitted very well into theirs, and even though point (2) is new - it still fits in. 

The one I've got is a new formulation of what Jonathan Haidt calls the care/harm foundation of morality.  This is a major foundation of religious morality.  There are 4 others however in the conservatives' moral framework, and this doesn't have a lot to say about those. 

But people changing their ways?  Is that really what is needed?  I know there is a gap in the market for a formal system of atheist morality.  The result is not a million miles from what people do already.  What would it be used for?  As an abstract system, it locks into place a formal bedrock of personal morality.  This means it can be taught in schools and it can be used as a guide for the religious, speaking with the voice of their religion. 

I can see a point in (3) however as the problem of motivating people to behave well rather than selfishly is a thorny old one.  Without a God it relies on reputation and conscience.  With a God there is an additional "eye in the sky" watching over everything you do.  In our case I think there is the incentive of creating a good and fruitful social environment for yourself whose intentions towards you are likely to be positive and helpful. 

RSS

Discussion Forum

The Big Bang Is A Fiction After All! Thank you, Reg.

Started by Tom Sarbeck. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 51 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Sunday School July 13th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Physeter on Monday. 3 Replies

Sunday School July 20th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer on Sunday. 4 Replies

Sunday School July 6th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas Jul 7. 13 Replies

Sunday School June 29th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Ed Jun 29. 5 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service