This is not a novel idea but it is worth keeping it to the foreground. Religious studies in school should cover all of the major religions. It would also help to teach critical thinking skills as a subject. Then maybe half the population would not fall victim to the “woo-woo” world of conspiracy theories. They might take Climate Change more seriously if they had a better grounding in Science. People would be able to see through “what they don’t tell you” claims and not fall prey to scams so often.

Soon it may not matter if criminals wear masks as advances in DNA could soon lead to another major breakthrough in crime detection.

Decoding the brain by listening to the language of its “electric chattering”. How do you view coincidences?

I mentioned last week about the detection of gravitational waves (Wiki here) after the Big Bang. Ethan Siegel brings us up to date with his usual excellent work.

More on the Science vs Religion debate (survey).

I believe you might like “The Unbelievers” starring the dynamic duo of Dawkins and Krauss starring as themselves. Stephen Fry has been busy too, making 4 animated videos with the British Humanist Society.

Another Faux News reporter misunderstands freedom from religion from religious persecution in the military. I wonder if sensitive Senator Ted Cruz would be better able to inform him where he is going wrong?

Pope Cuddles confronts the Mafia as he tries to make them an offer they can’t refuse.

Nate Phelps, son of Fred Phelps of the WBC says that his father’s beliefs have not died with him, even if his legacy is false. Everyone grieves in their own way.

Who am I to judge, asks a judge in England as he throws out a case against the LDS for seeking money by using untrue or misleading information?

Finally someone in Britain is being prosecuted for the barbaric offence of FGM.

Who is Karam Saber? Countries with religious police according to Pew Research.

Christians in Florida ignore their Lord’s rule in Leviticus 19:28 and get tattoo marks upon themselves.

Finally we have proof for the existence of God. So if there is no Sunday School next week it will be because I could be a Christian (or a stand up comedian).

Coffee break video: Dan Dennett on the merits of teaching religion in schools and Paul Nurse of the Royal Society on Science.  The latter may be a repeat but it is worth watch again if that is the case.

Tags: Atheism, Cosmos, School, Science, Sunday

Views: 189

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks to those that sent me links during the week and to Onyango Makagutu for reminding me about Paul Nurse, whose name had escaped me for a few weeks.

Whatever happens, please don't be a Christian, maybe a stand up comedian. I think as Nietzsche said, the last Christian died on the cross, the rest are pretenders to the name

Thanks Belle Rose…you should hear my tone when I blaspheme!!  Glad to help get those synapses firing with electric chatter :-)

In case you didn't click the link, the latest Proofs that God is Real are: Babies, thunderstorms, flowers, the Bible, the global spread of Christianity (even though he admits that "atheism is growing in this country"), Jesus, and "My personal friendship with God." Glad he decided to go with such testable, easily observable points.

My favorite part? "There are more than 400,000 species of flowers in the world, and most of them are not edible. Their job is to simply make the world beautiful." He can't conceieve, or he has never learned, that something could possibly exist for a purpose other than serving humans. I'm pretty sure all (or nearly all?) flowers are edible--by bugs and birds. Bees, flies, hummingbirds and other critters feed on the nectar inside the flower and thus spread the plant's pollen, allowing it to reproduce. Flowers use pretty colors to attract these bugs, and either smell pretty or smell like rotting meat depending on what they're trying to attract.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Sunday School August 24th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Belle Rose on Sunday. 4 Replies

Sunday School August 17th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by onyango makagutu Aug 19. 11 Replies

Sunday School August 10th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer Aug 10. 5 Replies

Sunday School August 3rd 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Physeter Aug 4. 6 Replies

Sunday School July 27th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer Jul 27. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 10 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service