Women in Afghanistan are starting to speak out against abuse but it is still in anger rather than with any sense of empowerment.

In Sudan, it is as yet not clear if the Sharia “religion of peace” court will whip and then murder Meriam Ibrahim, a young mother for not believing what they believe or if she will be allowed to go free. She has also been charged with adultery even though she is legally married.

The husband of Farzana Parveen murdered his first wife too.

The experiences of women leaving Islam for Atheism.

A map of nations where apostasy and blasphemy are deemed to be crimes.

The US Navy rejects the idea of a “Humanist Chaplin”……because he does not believe in any gods?

In Virginia, an Atheist couple are told by a court official that they have no right to get married because they “didn’t know where God is”.

Ron Reagan is “not afraid to burn in hell” for his Atheism.

Atheists lose a case against the removal of “In god we trust” from US currency.

On Gods and Guns…Jesus and the Second Amendment.

Many Ghanaians believe faith is more important than reason but things are changing among the young who have established a Humanist group.

Some quick tips to improve your critical thinking skills.

A Bible Belt Atheist’s Survival Guide.

There are very few Atheists in jail.

Every government should have a Minister for Science.

The recent detection of the imprint of gravitational waves which validated Inflation Theory are being called in question. That is, they are being peer reviewed, which is exactly how Science works.

The Sky at Night

Ten things we did not know last week.

The poet, Maya Angelou is gone.

Coffee Break Video: TED Talk on Doubt, Faith and Fanaticism.

Tags: atheism, news

Views: 175

Replies to This Discussion

Apologies for the late posting today. Hope you enjoy!

For a moment I thought there is no Sunday School today!

Thanks for this.

That case of the court official who refuses to officiate a wedding is unbelievable.

I hear the Sudanese lady is going to be freed.

A law that allows a man and his family to kill a woman and get away with it because the religion approves it is abhorrent to any rational person.

Most “honor killings” are carried out because of tribal traditions as a response to perceived shame being brought upon a family by a woman’s actions. In many societies a woman’s honor is seen as a reflection of the honor of the entire family (or village). These “honor killings” are in reality cases of “premeditated murder”. They are decided upon by the family and often carried out by a person under the age of 18 and are never spoken about afterwards to or by anyone.

Islam claims that it does not promote “honor killings” but because Islam, the religion of peace, prescribes violence towards women with the Koran, it gives its tacit, if not vocal approval for it. When countries like Sudan or Pakistan allow Sharia Law to become the law of the land, then the man will always be seen as the “wronged” party. If he commits rape, the victim is likely to be punished.

So when there is an entanglement of tribal traditions and Sharia Law that allows men to murder women, often will complete impunity, it becomes a misogynistic society. Islam should be ashamed of itself for not being vocal in trying to change this.

I just don’t marry anyone who does not believe in God [or] believes that there is a God someplace,” Roth said. “So I’m not going to talk the issue over with you and I’m not going to argue about it, okay? I’m just not going to marry you. Correct?”

Someone need to get terminated from their government position immediately !!

Thanks Belle Rose, my best days are when I am busy thinking Atheist ;-)

I would thank you Reg for making the Sunday school post this week but God our saviour is the only person we really need to thank. So thanks for nothing Reg.

@Davis Goodman, prepare to have your aura punched:-)

Atheists lose a case against the removal of “In god we trust” from US currency.

Predictably, the court turned a blind eye to an unlawful religious motto because it's a "reference to the country’s religious heritage." Thus the kangaroos continue to cite "history" instead of any legal analysis to ensure the desired incongruous outcome.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Discussion Forum

Sunday School November 23rd 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Virgil 23 hours ago. 12 Replies

Sunday School November 16th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by onyango makagutu Nov 17. 3 Replies

Sunday School November 9th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Davis Goodman Nov 10. 5 Replies

Sunday School November 2nd 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Belle Rose Nov 7. 9 Replies

Sunday School October 26th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Simon Paynton Oct 27. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service