"I say quite deliberately that the Christian religion, as organized in its churches, has been and still is the principal enemy of moral progress in the world." Once described as being "devastating in its use of cold logic", Why I am not a Christian by Bertrand Russell is a must read.

The perceived complexity of the structure of the natural world is often cited by Theists as evidence for a divine creator. However the scientific study of complexity can lead to a greater understanding of the world without including any gods.

In Physics a light is shone on a new Theory of Life. This is well worth reading.

Another death sentence issued by the religion of peace for blasphemy of its imaginary god. The UN recommends that countries that have blasphemy laws should change them as they are counter-productive. Not so far from me, a theatre cancels its “blasphemous play” as these Christians are the self-appointed moral guardians of society.

A Malaysian couple are arrested in Sweden for hitting their children….for not praying!

Next door in Finland parliament will debate abolishing state endorsed religion

A new Spanish cardinal spews forth some catholic vitriol about gay people. Does his boss have a cure for such defects and will he remove him from office?

Another public school ignores the law on coercing students into following a particular faith. This time Jesus is asked to huddle with the football team.

We don’t believe that a magical sky god is watching our every move or is ready “to convict us of thought crime” as Hitchens would have put it. However are Atheists mistrusted because we don’t fear punishment from one?

Who is Ashraf Fayadh?

The perceived complexity of the structure of the natural world is often cited by Theists as an evidence for a divine creator. However the scientific study of complexity can lead to a greater understanding of the world without including any gods.

Neil deGrasse Tyson is reviving Carl Sagan’s Cosmos show with a new 13 part sequel airing in March. It is co-produced with one of the original producers and Carl’s wife, Ann Druyan. He hopes it will help us to “understand our relationship to other humans, to the rest of the tree of life on Earth, to the rest of the planets in the universe, and to the rest of the universe itself. I want it to get inside your skin. I want you to be so affected that the world looks completely different.”

I think we should all sign up to watch the Bill Nye vs Ken Ham debate live!

How different are the brains of believers and Atheists?

There was a Supernova eruption in a nearby galaxy this week.

In Physics a light is shone on a new Theory of Life. This is worth reading and thinking about.

Coffee Break: The Enigma of Beauty (switch to full screen) an original movie showing some classical art works as never seen before. Then Plato’s Cave looks at our perceptions of reality.

Tags: School, Sunday

Views: 108

Replies to This Discussion

And here's a good one I just found this morning. An historian at the British Museum discovers that a small cuneiform tablet the size of a cell phone tells a "flood story" that predates even Gilgamesh.

I'll have to re-read B Russell......when I first read it months ago I remember not being too impressed. I wonder if that has changed any.....hmmmmmm
Great Sunday school Reg! Thanks for this, it's always fun to read. You get a gold star ;)
Thanks for the article on the study of complexity. That is fantastic!!! Since I realized that the God of the Bible really didn't make any sense, I've had to put aside my understanding of just about everything. I became an atheist within a very short time, and reasoned to myself that the answers to all the questions that I have will come with time, study, and continuous learning. I reasoned that I don't have to know everything RIGHT now.....even so I've often wondered WHEN is science going to tackle the interconnectedness of the sciences in a non-linear way?!?! Especially the social sciences because that being my own favorite science, I've always recognized, even in my "academic" years that it's incomplete and almost shallow the way we scientifically approach the dynamics of human behavior, especially in social groups. At the time this fostered my acceptance of the "goddidit" approach because it really was a quick fix all, and it was warm and fuzzy too.....

.....So now as an Atheist I've been patiently waiting for SOME sort of validation to my concerns here.......and THIS article nailed it for me ;)

Thanks Reg

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Discussion Forum

Sunday School April 6th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by RobertPiano on Thursday. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 1 Comment

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.