I am trying to ease up on too many articles about the Tremendous One so let’s just listen to CNN and the ACLU instead.

What if America were to becomes a theocracy and Trump was to “totally destroy” the Johnson Amendment? Right, that is it for this week.

Glenn Beck and David Barton want to setup their own Christian History Museum where they can indoctrinate children with their own 1984 styled Ministry of Truth. It would be like putting Jerry Falwell, in charge of a task force on Education.

How distrust of unbelievers runs deep in American history.

Ricky Gervais answers the usual questions with some stock answers but he could have done better.

This is a fantabulosa story about some trainee priests who mince their words.

Islam is a religion even if it is impossible to separate it from its political ideology.

This weeks’ Woo: Cancer treatment myths.

The Dr. Oz Show is to have a weekly segment on “Miraculous medical recoveries that only God can explain”. Does that mean God will be there explaining them to the audience?

Climate Change: Is the Larsen C ice shelf a modern-day “canary in the coalmine”.

Sean Carroll writes about some fundamental truths that absolutely do bear thinking about because science does not aim to give us certainty. That does not explain why Quantum Mechanics can leave me pondering the word “confuddlement” but then again no one understands QM. Maybe we should just wait for the machines to figure it out and when they do, what will that mean for Christianity’s ideas about the truth?

We will only begin to move towards Truth’s superb surprise when we learn that confirmation biases are blind spots in our imagination.

History teaches us?

Do you like to read books that give you novel or dangerous ideas to consider?

February 12th is Darwin Day which marks the destruction of the argument from design.

Ten things we did not know last week. Some photographs taken last week.

While you are waiting for the kettle to boil.…..

Coffee Break Video: Winning the War of Ideas with Sam Harris and Bill Maher. A Ted Talk on how to get better at the things you care about. Sean Spicer gives another press briefing.

Views: 196

Replies to This Discussion

Have a great week everyone!

Tell all the Truth but tell it slant --

Success in Circuit lies

Too bright for our infirm Delight

The Truth's superb surprise

As Lightning to the Children eased

With explanation kind

The Truth must dazzle gradually

Or every man be blind.

Emily Dickinson.

Great poem - Arch introduced me to Emily Dickinson :)

Thanks for Sunday School, Reg!

I like it too :) I've been trying to figure out what it means, lol.....but I like it! :)

“The offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can’t give way is an offer of something not worth having. I want to live my life taking the risk all the time that I don’t know anything like enough yet… that I haven’t understood enough… that I can’t know enough… that I am always hungrily operating on the margins of a potentially great harvest of future knowledge and wisdom. I wouldn’t have it any other way. And I’d urge you to look at those who tell you, those people who tell you at your age, that you are dead until you believe as they do. What a terrible thing to be telling to children. …and that you can only live by accepting an absolute authority. Don’t think of that as a gift. Think of it as a poisoned chalice. Push it aside however tempting it is. Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty and wisdom will come to you that way.”

Maybe that is how Hitchens would want to find Truth’s superb surprise.

Hmmm I like it :)

"Tell all the Truth but tell it slant -- "

The origin of "spin"?

"What if America were to becomes a theocracy and Trump was to “totally destroy” the Johnson Amendment? Right, that is it for this week." 

I personally am not too worried about America becoming a theocracy.  My reasoning for this is we as a nation are much less religious now than at any point in our history.  Church attendance is dismal and quite frankly I just don't see the country standing still for this.......

My one caveat to that however is folks pushing too hard telling people they can't do it and galvanizing many to do something they really did not want because the were told they could not. 

The ACLU does more to harm Atheism than it does to help it.  They look so partisan and pro-Islam, using this as a way to manipulate the majority Christians in this country they look way too biased.  The ACLU is so far in the weeds on this they lose even some Atheist support.

My reasoning for this is we as a nation are much less religious now than at any point in our history.

On one level I agree. I am more concerned about the Christian fundamentalists or dominionists that have come to see “religious freedom” as “religious privilege”. They want to be legally allowed to discriminate when and where they feel their “sincerely held beliefs” are being challenged. Ok, the Constitution does not mention “Christianity” and they will not try to change that but I think they will try to change as many progressive or “liberal” laws as they can.

It may be their right not to bake a cake for a gay wedding, their right to give people discounts in stores or cafes if they produce the Bible, their right to not employ people not of their faith etc. Now that the laws giving LGB citizens equal rights are in place they are targeting transgender citizens. They will make it as difficult as possible for women to procure abortion services and I am almost certain Mike Pence will want to go after Roe Vs Wade.

I accept that there is a certain naivety to my post and as I am not an American I may be way of the mark but I have followed US politics for a long time. It does appear that many of these right wingers are wrapping the Flag around too much of what they talk about. It is a false patriotism and they seem to be unaware of the founding principles of the Nation. Maybe “religious privilege” is not a strong enough term. It feels more like a drive for “religious control” – over women’s bodies, citizen’s sex lives, children’s education, the judicial system etc. These little cuts will lead to an erosion of personal freedoms. They can do this in a short period of time. They seem very committed to it, given the people appointed to positions of power. There will be nothing great about it. It takes longer to climb out of the quicksand than it does to sink into it.

My main problem with your premiss and many folks premiss is that all Christians are immediately equated with a very very small minority of extremist Christians.  Your post is full of extreme, unrealistic, everything goes not just right but extreme right, not mainstream right, extreme right.

VP Pence is quite christian, I agree, but I feel he is not going to force anything on anyone.  As for President Trump I think he is about as Areligious as anyone in recent history in the white house.  I don't think he is atheist but certainly not a bible or any religious text thumper.  Heck Obama went to more church and espoused more churchy talk than Trump ever has.

They won the election...as, all that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to stay home on voting day.

:D

So, a vocal and active minority Trumps a silent inactive majority.

The silent majority in essence gets whatever the loud minority allows them to.

Given Trumps appointments thus far, the pattern on making people in charge of agencies that they have historically wanted to destroy, etc...who knows.

The "read books" link is corrected.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Sunday School April 23rd 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Pope Beanie yesterday. 7 Replies

Sunday School April 16th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Belle Rose Apr 16. 3 Replies

Sunday School April 9th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer Apr 10. 11 Replies

Sunday School April 2nd 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Fred Hampton Apr 3. 17 Replies

Sunday School March 26th 2017

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer Mar 26. 13 Replies

Blog Posts

The First Lie

Posted by Andrew Brown on April 24, 2017 at 12:46pm 4 Comments

13 April

Posted by Noon Alif on April 24, 2017 at 7:08am 0 Comments

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service