Due to time constraints I will not keep you too long today...Enjoy.

Sam Harris continues his journey through The Moral Landscape.

Sean Carroll asks if American ideas on Evolution are evolving.

Spend a few minutes at the Museum of Hoaxes. Bring a Lie Detector to check out those rumours

The growing importance of the Atheist community in keeping the religious Right in its corner. It is important to speak up against fundamentalist Christians and Muslims as some holy people want you dead.

A follow up story about censorship of the FSM (praised be His sauce) at a London college.

Nobody was abducted from the latest International UFO Congress as they tell us that the truth is out there.

During the week Dawkins tweeted that aliens would be Atheists, coming as they do from advanced civilizations. At least Mars no longer has to worry about Islamists. The aliens should not have released this guy.

Pope Cuddles gets a smartphone.

Uganda, Arizona and Kansas move on Human Rights. Some in Kentucky have different ideas.

Once again, Creationists will never make good Scientists.

X-rays map a Supernova to help understand the process of stars exploding.

Coffee Break Video: A talk about Empathy and one hour on beautiful equations.

Tags: School, Sunday

Views: 207

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Belle Rose.

Pope Cuddles, LOL.

Religion now comes to us in this smiley-face, ingratiating way -Hitch

Exactly my thoughts when I took it upon myself to baptize him "Cuddles" without his consent !

I love that Salon link about creationists, Reg.

“Questioning Darwin” makes clear the distinction between those, like Pastor Peter LaRuffa, who states, “If somewhere within the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2+2 =5, I wouldn’t question what I’m reading in the Bible, I would believe it, accept it as true and then do my best to work it out and understand it” and Darwin, who says, “I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free so as to give up any hypothesis, however much beloved (and I cannot resist forming one on every subject), as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.”

I think that is at the very core of what Science is. Darwin was will to give up on his theory, his life's work, if the facts were shown to oppose it. It is also the very core of religious belief where the pastor is willing to believe what the Bible says no matter how much it flies into the face of reality. Thank God for the Scientific Method :-).....

Thanks for the Sam Harris article, it's interesting to see what he's up to.  Rather than critiquing his efforts, I prefer to come up with something of my own.  Anyway, I'm liking the guy more and more these days. 

You might like something here Simon?

Thanks Reg, I'll give it a look.  I've come to the conclusion that religious morality is correct in essence.  I've just isolated the essence in secular terms, derived from evolution and resting on the axiom, "take responsibility for your actions".  Perhaps this axiom could do with further investigation, since it's so important for the theory.  "Objective" means "something that a lot of people agree on".  Among those people, it's objective. 

The ideas are still evolving but the moral formula is in place.  It's simple, it's powerful, it's easy to apply, it's always the right thing to do, it's never let me down, and when I fail to follow it, the consequences are predictably bad.  I think it scales up well to a group level but I haven't thought about this much.  It also seems to go flying over everybody's head.  The Healing Principle once saved my life, which is how I discovered it.  Once that happened, my eyes were opened and I could see it everywhere, and it's caused directly by evolution and natural selection.  It's the currency of morality. It's at the heart of religion, along with principle no. 2. 

I'm just waiting to be discovered.  I'm not in any hurry though. 

fieldlines.org:  complicated.  Too complicated for me.  Morality isn't a complicated subject. 

Thanks all the same though Reg, it's always good to have allies and peers. 

RSS

Discussion Forum

Sunday School December 21th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Belle Rose on Sunday. 2 Replies

Sunday School December 14th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer Dec 17. 10 Replies

Sunday School December 7th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by onyango makagutu Dec 8. 2 Replies

Sunday School November 30th 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer Dec 3. 9 Replies

Sunday School November 23rd 2014

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer. Last reply by Virgil Nov 25. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Creationists Dispute

Posted by Fouad on December 24, 2014 at 7:26am 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service