Have you ever dated someone who believed in God or was very religious?
How did that work out for you?
Is it possible for an atheist and a theist to be together in the long run?
Would you date them in the first place?

Views: 830

Replies to This Discussion

Hi so for your questions I have dated someone who was a "Christian". For us it didn't work out at all because of his faith that he said he had. He was the type of Christian that did a ton of unchristian things like drugs and he cheated and was very judgemental, yet he claimed to love god and Jesus and was going to heaven because he was a Christian and all he had to do was repent and all that jazz. We didn't work out because for the simple fact that I was an atheist and he felt that I was this evil person that was going to hell even though he was the one that was just a complete hypocrite. But I do know other people that have dated a religious person and it can happen if you have understanding and maybe some compromise, but I think if kids are involved then it's not going to work in my opinion anyway, but I think you should give people the benefit of the doubt personally and just give them a chance.
I have dated someone that I really liked quite a bit and it didn't work out because she was just "too religious". I tried to put up with it, but ultimately I just couldn't stand it. I might be able to if someone maybe believes, but isn't too serious about it. She would probably have to be at least skeptical, though or I don't know if they would be able to handle me and what I believe.

I'd sooner date a Christian than a smoker. 

Look, Christians come in many flavors. Some would insist on having things their way, others would place a lot of emphasis on getting along with others and doing conversion through example. When I was a Christian (Episcopal), that was the sort of Jesus I believed in ("Let him who has never sinned throw the first stone").

A very evangelical fundamentalist Christian would probably be pretty close to impossible to date for very long. For one thing, like hell I'd wait until we were married to have sex.

It's not ideal, is it? But it can be interesting. And people change.

I wouldn't be likely to date most Christians. I might make an exception for a member of a non-evangelical sect, like a Unitarian.

I'd go for a Hindu woman. They don't proselytize.

I've been afraid to date such types, so no. 

Certainly, this did not work out for me. 

I find that there is something twisted in the concept of a theist and an atheist getting together.  The core of modern theism seems to be that the idea that make-believe is an OK thing for civilized adults to believe in.  I often get the impression that religious individuals feel contemptuous and disdainful towards the ideas of reality and truth.  "In the long run" usually involves breeding, and breeding is typically the indoctrinated agenda of a "believer".

So of course I wouldn't date one in the first place.

Gad! I used to be a big-time Deist.

Of course, if ye's avatar be up to date, that 'twere LOOOOOONG before ye 'twere born.

Now, huuuuuuuuuummmmm, it depends on what her swimsuit photo look like AND...yes, I am that shallow.

Well, personality DOES play a key part.....about 50/50.....I suppose. 

There could be exceptions. 

No.  And I have to advise others against it as well.  Especially female atheists.  In any event, female atheists should have no reason to date a believer because there are so many more male atheists around to choose from.

I have been married for a long time (I joined this group just to reply to this question).  It is hard enough communicating with another person when you have similar views because of all the unspoken assumptions you each have from your separate life experiences.  Adding religion to the mix means that you will probably have very little in common and will have big trouble in the relationship sooner or later as a result.

I like woman that can think freely and that enjoy intellectual debate…along with the finer things in life. So dating a Christian whose world view is based on a delusion would be a disappointment. It is so unsexy to hold such a pessimistic and immature stance. No spark, no fire, no fun, no way.

Hear, hear!

Never had this experience.

Nor would I ever consider getting involved with someone who was truly religious.

They would have to be the most amazing fucking human to ever have existed except for that one tiny flaw.

But faith is such a corrosive thing that it effects everything else about that individuals personality.

So I dont ever see it happening.

Good topic though.

I have dated women who were middle of the road, kind of cultural Christians who don't take it seriously. I don't see any harm in that.  I've also dated a Jesus freak for a couple of weeks. The last straw was when she wanted me to pray with her and help her hand out the vile propaganda on the street. 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Discussion Forum

enjoy lots of girls or love one girl?

Started by Hassan Ghanem. Last reply by Lewal Feb 17. 7 Replies

General Introductions: So, Why Are YOU Single?

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Isabel Garcia Nov 29, 2013. 182 Replies

Question, especially for guys!

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck Nov 27, 2013. 107 Replies

Dating Christians and Other Religious People

Started by Ashley Johnson. Last reply by James Johnson Nov 11, 2013. 33 Replies

How to Meet, Date, and Woo Atheist Women

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Lydia Hickman Mar 24, 2013. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service