I've asked before, but never seem to get anywhere...

Whenever I watch shows like "The Universe" and "How the Universe was Made" and "Through the Wormhole" and so on, they always mention, and sometimes play, sounds from different objects in space. I remember one episode playing the sound file of what a black hole might sound like.

I'm not completely sure of the process to get the sounds (you can't hear a scream in space, after all), but I think it has something to do with converting radio waves or light waves or some other kind of waves to sound waves and playing those back... or something...

What I do know is that I want these sounds. I do have some of the sun, a quasar, Saturn's rings (so dang cool)... even the Big Bang itself. But I know that more is out there. I've already heard what a black hole might sound like from of those space shows, but I can't find anything outside of YouTube, and I'd rather have non-MP3 files, to be honest. I'd love to get a sound file of a supernova, more of the sun, and I heard yesterday on YouTube what the earth might sound like from space:

(He does link to where he got that sound file, but the link is dead).

Does anyone know of a website that collects all the different sounds that have been produced from waves, preferably in an uncompressed format like .wav?

Please help...

Tags: radio astronomy, sounds, space

Views: 99

Replies to This Discussion

hey! I found this http://www.amazon.com/Nasa-Voyager-Space-Sounds/dp/B002N7R16E they're mp3 files unfortunately, but isn't there a way to convert files into another format? not a computer whiz so I'm not sure about that. but at least you'd have the actual tracks

Hm... thanks. Hadn't seen that. Doesn't help with my quest for Black Holes and Supernovas and such, though... :(

I wonder... could I do it myself? Is there a program and resource sites I could use?

You probably already hav e this link but just in case ...

https://soundcloud.com/radioqualia

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Discussion Forum

When a Devastating Solar CME Hits Earth...

Started by Pope Beanie. Last reply by Ken Hughes Mar 18. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com