Hi all.

You know the routine.

There is only one chapter for next week before the book is done...

I'm sorry if everyone has been overloaded, maybe we were doing too much at a time. I know I personally could barely keep up and never discussed with you because I just don't have the time to sit down and put my thoughts together. If people are interested in doing another book, we can take it a bit slower.

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

I finished TGD last night, what a brilliant read, even if it's read alone. :( Regardless, there was this paragraph towards the end of the book that I found to be inspiring, maybe it will be the same for the random stranger that might pass by this tiny post on a small (albeit growing) web site, posted from this little coffee shop sitting in a dirty little town, butted up against a mountain that took a few million years to shape, on this bitsy planet floating invisibly in a minor solar system swimming in an endless universe of a billion other solar systems.

"Think about it. On one planet, and possibly only one planet in the entire universe, molecules that would normally make nothing more complicated than a chunk of rock, gather themselves together into chunks of rock-sized matter of such staggering complexity that they are capable of running, jumping, swimming, flying, seeing, hearing, capturing and eating other such animated chunks of complexity; capable in some cases of thinking and feeling, and falling in love with yet other chunks of complex matter." ~Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

I don't think we ever stop and consider the improbability of our own existence, whether on the small scale of the lucky sperm that found a fertile egg and made it through a savage birth and lived long enough to learn to read and write and to post obscure comments such as this; or the greater scale of improbability of being on a planet where life is possible - even though it took 13 billion years for me to actually evolve to the point of sitting here. It's really quite amazing.

And against that backdrop of improbability and of overcoming almost impossible odds in this vast universe to even exist, why do we find ourselves subjected to laws and rules of behavior from the very first day of our improbable existence? Why aren't we running wild in the streets and the forests enjoying every passing nanosecond of our very short existence? Who are these people perched like vultures waiting for our birth so that they can swoop down and shove there poison down our innocent throats? We need to enjoy the odds we overcame to just exist and enjoy every micro-second of our lives. Don't try to fit the template that's given to you, don't believe anything without searching for the answer yourself, don't follow the rules, don't worry about your 401k or your retirement, don't live up to anyone's expectations for you. Live, love, and learn till you fall over dead.
ah man you ruined the ending! :)
Just on chapter 8: The final section deals with how Theist moderates enable the extremists. Upholding faith as intrinsically virtuous is dangerous for obvious reasons.

But then is it fair to say 'people never commit atrocity in the name of Atheism'?

Yes atheism is merely the lack of belief in God, and that alone cannot lead to immoral acts. But Dawkins' proposes that faith itself is immoral. Many atheists would agree with this, including friendly easy-going guys like me. But so do crazy totalitarian ones that persecute religion.

I know we are constantly saying that it was the Marxist dogma that led Stalin and the Revolutionaries persecuted the religious, but if the Marxist dogma were not Atheistic would they have leveled the churches and killed the priests?

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service