So I just finished the fourth book in this series. Without a doubt, I think it is the greatest piece of Fantasy out there right now. I would describe it as the Lord of the Rings of our time and I think in the future people will regard George R.R. Martin with the same reverence that people have today for Tolkien. The storylines are wonderfully in depth and varied, the characters three dimensional and unique down to the day players, each speaking with their own distinct voice. A Song of Ice and Fire has to be some of the greatest books I have ever read.

Pick this up. You will not regret it.

Has anybody else out there read these books? Who's your favorite character? Who do you love to hate? Why?

Tags: and, fire, game, george, hbo, ice, martin, of, rr, song, More…thrones

Views: 221

Replies to This Discussion

well i can't really say much. I read the 1st 3 books like 5 years ago and I don't really remember a whole lot of details, I usually don't until I read something 2 or 3 times, but I'm in the process of re-reading the 1st book right now. I wanted to read the book again before watching the HBO adaptation so I would be able to have an opinion about the job they've done. At this point I'm only about 1/3 rd into it, but reason I have for really liking it is, like you've noted, the characters are complex and very well drawn. Which is to say, that, like real life, they are for the most part sort of morally ambiguous. A lot of fantasy presents characters in a much too clear-cut manner, good vs evil and all that. The world in Game of Thrones is messy and Martin doesn't shy away from the grittier depictions.
A Game of Thrones is the 1st book. A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the series.  I'm really enjoying reading it again. And I think, except for a scene or two here and there, they've been doing a great job with the tv adaptation.
i agree. I'm a big fan. i think Peter Dinklage was the perfect choice to play Tyrion, as was Sean Bean for Eddard Stark. I'm really excited to see how they progress, if they do a book a season

I've had them on hold at my library for a long time. They are too popular to actually get them it seems.

My fav fantasy in the last decade or so has been The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb starting with The Assassin's Apprentice. Everyone I've gotten to read these books LOVES them.

I also loved the Kushiel Series by Jacqueline Carey starting with Kushiel's Dart. It's a little kinky which I love plus has epic storylines and well developed characters.

Fantasy has long been of my fav genres. One of my all time top three books is On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony. There is just some wonderful stuff in that novel.

i just joined here on TA. i am about to pick up book 5 from the library. This is easily my favorite fantasy series. Danaerys and Arya are my favorite characters... and of course i have a burning hatred for the Lannisters, save Jamie and Tyrion, who have their moments of good.

RSS

Discussion Forum

"Cli-fi"

Started by Don Aug 31. 0 Replies

What to Read

Started by Jason Lamar Sorensen. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck Aug 6. 19 Replies

Atheism and fiction

Started by Davis Goodman. Last reply by Davis Goodman Feb 23. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service