is there a good argument that is non-theistic or non-religious to prove or at least argue that same sex marriage is immoral?

i cant think of any, and i dont want to use religious doctines, personally i am in favor of same-sex marriage but igot assigned in my debate class to oppose it.

Views: 480

Replies to This Discussion

the main arguments against same-sex marriage seem to be mostly religious. though there may be people who are against it because they see marriage as a heterosexual institution (because that's how they were brought up?), and they see gay people as 2nd class citizens (not a "real" man/woman, goes against nature, etc.).

That's about all I can think of. Honestly I don't understand people who are against same-sex marriage.

No, because same-sex marriage is in no way immoral, or wrong.

If I were you, I'd go to your teacher and say "listen. I'm not against same-sex marriage, and, as an atheist, I can promise you that there is no such thing as a rational or non-religious reason to oppose it. I would prefer to argue in favor, or just not debate."

I'm straight as an arrow, but if I were put in that situation, I would request to be switched to the other team or refuse to debate.

Actually, one time I got assigned to debating in favor of something I opposed (making marijuana legislation more restrictive [I favor legalizing it, myself]), and I sabotaged my team. We lost the debate because of me. Afterwards they complained to the teacher, but the other side (which was very much aware of what I was doing) stood up for me and said I did no such thing.

In your position, I would request a switch or refuse to debate. Your team cannot win. There is no legitimate argument against, but plenty for (the main one being that not only is there evidence of homosexuality throughout the animal kingdom, which means it is natural, but there's absolutely no reason, other than religious, to be against it) same-sex marriage.

I was thinking the same thing, sabotage it...you could do the debate and use the most ridiculous arguments from a creationist's point of view. (create a satire out of it all).

On the other hand, voicing your thoughts to your teacher may be better. Depending on the views of your teacher, sabotaging it could seen as not following the rules of the debate.
A house? LMAO!! I think that is an argument against itself! lol. Saying that a house has opinions. [Anyone who sees that will think that they are talking about the LITERAL house, bricks windows and doors. lol]
its a legislative debate in British parliament format, motions usually start with "this house" the "house" there does not talk about a real house, but of the government and the opposition "This house" then means "this side" or the gov't side or the opposition side.
Marriage is a commitment between people that follow guidelines of the government and/or culture.  Geographically speaking it may or may not be immoral depending on where you are at.  Good luck, maybe this will spark an idea.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Something to chew on

Started by Free Thought Monk Jan 12, 2013. 0 Replies

If man arose by chance, life would have no purpose or meaning.

Started by Morgan Matthew. Last reply by Tom Margolis Feb 26, 2012. 5 Replies

NASA proves the Bible to be true.

Started by Chris H. Last reply by Alexander Miner Jan 20, 2012. 13 Replies

this house believes that gay marriage is wrong

Started by mark julius r. batugal. Last reply by Brice Roughton Nov 21, 2011. 6 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service