When Good Parents Have Bad Children

By TARA PARKER-POPE
July 12, 2010 - NY Times

Parents often get blamed when their children go astray — whether it’s an ill-behaved toddler or an adult rehashing a troubled childhood during a therapy session.

But should good parents be blamed when kids go bad? That’s the question posed by Dr. Richard Friedman in today’s Science Times.

For years, mental health professionals were trained to see children as mere products of their environment who were intrinsically good until influenced otherwise; where there is chronic bad behavior, there must be a bad parent behind it.

But while I do not mean to let bad parents off the hook — sadly, there are all too many of them, from malignant to merely apathetic — the fact remains that perfectly decent parents can produce toxic children.

To learn more, read the full story, “Accepting That Good Parents May Plant Bad Seeds

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

So, do you not believe that there are some kids that despite all good attempts by their parents, end up being extremely problematic? There is an element of 'nature' (genetics) to all of this, nurture doesn't always fill the gap, no matter what, in my experience....
I believe there are some kids that are naturally bad. Parents have to work very hard to make them empathetic and to set limits so they can overcome genetic programing.

Good people don't always make good parents. Some of the nicest people I know are terrible parents because they won't set and stick to limits which every child needs.

Then there are the kids who didn't get to bond with an adult at that critical time when they were small kids or were beaten, not fed, neglected and abused. Can they be saved? When they can't emotionally attach?

RSS

Discussion Forum

Before and After: Breastfeeding and Your Boobs

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Bleacheddecay Aug 22, 2012. 14 Replies

Losing friends over atheism.

Started by Janelle Campbell. Last reply by Banned Atheist Jul 2, 2012. 19 Replies

Puberty In 2nd Grade Becoming Ever More Common

Started by Sydni Moser. Last reply by Rachel May 1, 2012. 5 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service