http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Canterbury_earthquake

On the 4th of sept (NZ time) a earthquake of 7.1 ripped through the christchurch area. I do not live in the south island, and was not directly affected by the shake. Christchurch is a major city in New Zealand for a population of 4 going on 5 million and it is the largest city in the south island. We have higher standards in NZ so our buildings did not collaspe like in haiti, but most of the old city has been damaged and the houses either shifted off their foundations or cracked. This is estimated to cost over $2 billion (NZ). So far, there have been no confirmed deaths but hundreds of injuries. Our Prime Minister visited on the same day as the quake and the response has been quick. For such as small country, this is a major disaster.

Tags: earthquake, new, zealand

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

Wow I hope people are okay and I am glad you and people close to you are not directly effected. I hope your country makes it through this devastation strong and proud. Thanks for letting us be aware of this earthquake, before you mentioned it I never heard of this in the newspapers or on TV. Again I am glad and so are the people at Think Atheist that you are alright and not effected directly by this.
Thanks

RSS

Discussion Forum

What High School/College are you attending?

Started by Dylan Alexander Fick. Last reply by Justine Robinson Aug 5, 2013. 19 Replies

Athiest, Agnostic and Freethinker Groups

Started by Matthew. Last reply by Matthew Jun 29, 2011. 4 Replies

NZ Canterbury Earthquake

Started by Eoganacht. Last reply by Eoganacht Sep 4, 2010. 2 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 3 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service