Hi everyone!
I hope you are all healthy and happy today.
I'm posting in all the foodie forums this afternoon, and have a question for Healthy Atheists.

What are your tips and tricks to eat better while saving money?
What type of groceries do you buy on a budget?

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

I make alot of dished with grains like quinoa, bulgar and barley. I shop at a local co-op. They sell alot of things by bulk really cheap. Grains & rices are great for making cold salads. I make my own vinegarette and toss is veggies, chickpeas with the grains. Also lentils are cheap. Good for making lentil loaf, burgers, sloppy joes.
Sounds delicious Adrian, would you mind if I posted in the Vegetarian group? I'll give you the credit of course...
It's great that you like to cook Adiran... And, ***CONGRATULATIONS*** 21years of saving lives of farm animals and living a healthier life is quite the accomplishment. Wish I could say the same... I only went fully vegetarian three years ago. Shame on me. (Still, better late than never.)
21 years ago I wasn't aware of the harm animal farming was doing to the planet. Kudos to you for being so aware and informed in your youth.
That's saying something. If Environmental Scientists are able to 'disconnect' what they know from how they act, no wonder, so many average people can't make the leap from denial to reality. Has Al Gore become a vegetarian yet???
Sorry Sydni... I couldn't reply to your post because we've carried it so far down. I just replied to Adrian's instead, because i know it will show up under yours.

I know that eating meat is worse for the environment than eating vegetarian.
I *think* that the less meat you eat, the healthier you will be (in respect to an equally balanced diet.)
So why then do I still eat meat?
Well, because it tastes good.
Hell, I do a lot of things just for pleasure, even though I know they aren't good for me. I drink a whole lot. I expose myself to various chemicals because I can't afford 'green' cosmetics and personal care products.
I don't always work out when I should. I don't always get enough sleep.
Frankly, my physical health doesn't take as high of a priority as it could.
So in the long run, meat eating isn't nearly as bad for me as some of the other things I do. As a human, I chose to get instant gratification for future costs.
Now, as for the compassionate side of the argument. I believe that death is natural. I cause death every time I inhale, exhale, drink water and eat a salad. Death isn't something I don't believe that any life is more 'sacred' than another just because of the intelligence factor, so killing an animal for my food isn't evil to me personally. Suffering, on the other hand.. well, that is another matter. I am actually very picky about what I buy, and the standard of living it had before it ended up on my plate.
The next argument to be had is that of environmental impact.
I believe (and this is open for debate) that procreating is much more detrimental to the planet than eating a steak. Propagating the human race causes much, much, MUCH more damage to Earth than killing a chicken. If I offset my meat consumption by self sterilization, I feel that I still come out ahead.

This is just a quick overview of my thinking. In no way do I want to hijack this thread.
If you'd like to email me personally through the site, please feel free. I'm honestly open to conversation without any nastiness or defensiveness. In fact, I'm stating these arguments simply because I'm interested on the topic, interested in what you have to say, and would like to help you convince others to live in a more responsible, humane way.
I might not give up my hotwings anytime soon, but if my opinions can help you formulate a way to convince others to, I think that would be a very good thing. After all, less is better and every little bit helps.
@Misty - We can definitely chat more about this topic, but I might just post a discussion for others to join in. Hopefully, we can all remain civil, it can be a very HEATED topic for some people. (Me included, to be honest...)

You might like to check out this discussion in Green Atheists, How Growth in Consumption Drives Climate Change, which states that consumption more than population growth if fueling climate change.

"The greatest human driver of global warming is the number of consumers on the planet and their consumption level. Individuals and households contribute to global warming by consuming goods and services that cause greenhouse gas emissions..."
Check out this discussion in Vegetarian and Vegan Atheists>> Short On $$$? You Can Still Eat Well
Thanks, everyone!
My own tip/trick for eating well while saving money is by shopping at local ethnic markets.
Right now my favorite place is an Asian fishmarket. They have a huge selection of herbs and produce that's grown locally.
Thanks for the link, Sydni. I'm checking it out right now.

RSS

© 2016   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service