According to the May 2009 issue of Redbook, women are still not treated equal to men; especially when it comes to earning their paycheck.

Lindsey Palmer writes, “…the Equal Pay Act of 1963 granted women the right to receive the same wages as men for performing the same jobs, today American women still aren’t getting the money they’ve rightfully earned.”

She also states that women earn 78 cents to every dollar earned by men; African-American women earn 71 cents, and Hispanic women earn 58 cents. (U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, Employment and Earnings, Annual Averages, 2007.)

Tips on Earning what you’re worth
1. Do your research and be educated. Find out what you’d be earning if you were a man by going to wageproject.org and put in your info.
2. There is strength in numbers. Talk to other women in your job place who are not being compensated equitably.
3. Spread awareness.
The Paycheck Fairness Act – would require employers to justify any pay differential between men and women; would also ban employers from punishing workers who reveal their salaries to coworkers…

Vote this Spring Ladies!

Views: 18

Replies to This Discussion

Ooh, thank you for that link. I'd heard about the wage problem recently but I had no idea how to go about fixing the problem for myself (should the situation arise).

I still have a really hard time wrapping my head around this concept. I mean, we're supposed a nation of equality, for Pete's sake. Are we all this misogynistic, or is it a subconscious effect? Who else are we paying less than their more-privileged counterparts?
Thanks for responding...pass this one on ladies...
It isn't even a gender thing.. it should be a humanity thing!
It would be absurd to have racial wage gaps...obscene for age (though not experience) related oppression... why even question gender?
lol...i agree but i like to go one step at a time...women and women minorities...in our culture today we cannot depend or expect on anyone besides ourselves to raise our kids, pay the bills, etc...it's all on us and we need better laws and to regulate pay scales.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Conquering Obesity

Started by Heather Spoonheim Aug 29, 2017. 0 Replies

Why I am just like Piper Chapman...what about you?

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Belle Rose Sep 17, 2016. 2 Replies

Hello ladies?

Started by Belle Rose Sep 27, 2014. 0 Replies

Domestic Violence Solutions...

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck May 12, 2013. 45 Replies

WHY must we wear a bra?

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Pope Beanie Mar 28, 2016. 61 Replies

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service