"My heart's desire is to lift women out of all these dangerous, degrading superstitions, and to this end will I labor my remaining days on earth."
~Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"No Gods--No Masters."
~Margaret Sanger

"...the being cannot be rational or virtuous who obeys any authority but that of reason."
~Mary Wollstonecraft

"Good works instead of long prayers."
~Anne Royall

"Turn your churches into halls of science..."
~Frances Wright

"Our life is too short and we cannot spare an hour from the human race, even for all the gods in creation."
~Ernestine L. Rose

"Women should unite upon a platform of opposition to the teaching and aim of that ever most unscrupulous enemy of freedom--the Church."
~Matilda Joslyn Gage

"I do not believe in God because I believe in man."
~Emma Goldman

"The question of souls is old--we demand bodies now. We are tired of promises. God is deaf and his church is our worst enemy."
~Voltairine de Cleyre

"...[Religion] is a farrago of authoritarian nonsense, misogyny, and humble pie; the eternal enemy of human happiness and freedom."
~Katha Pollitt

[If you have any of your own quotes by free-thinking women, please add them. It's good to know that women actually played a larger part in history than they've been given credit for.]

Views: 577

Replies to This Discussion

*Like !!!!

I couldn't agree more. This is exactly how I felt when I lost my faith. :)
When I read "In God we trust" on an US dollar bill, it's a reminder for me to pay a visit to the local sex shop, and spend it there.

~ Unknown French woman, vacationing in the USA.
"The bible and the church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation."
Elizabeth Cady-Stanton

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service