I'm sure at this point most of you are aware of Romney's "binders full of women" comment in the second presidential debate. I'm actually a little surprised that this topic hasn't come up here yet.

I'm curious, what do you all think of this comment? Was it just a bad choice of words? Was it indicative of deeper feelings Romney has toward women? Was it indicative of something else? Is it even a comment worth discussing and/or making a big deal out of it? How do you personally feel about the comment? Do you think it will affect how anyone votes in November?

You could always google the phrase "Binders full of women" or here's a link for a little background info: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/17/romney-binders-full-of-...

And here's a link for entertainment: http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/

Tags: Binders, Romney, Sexism, Women, debate, election, full, of, presidential, women

Views: 667

Replies to This Discussion

Asi es - glad you liked it --

What would we do without YouTube?????

There are times when we need to get angry - this man is getting the message across - luv Lewis Black - 

@Ryan the only people who do research are Democrats and Atheists, or learn about History are left wingers and Atheists.

The fact that half the American population are supporting a man whose religion was founded by a con man - they don't even find out how their particular franchised religion started.

I am so grateful to the men who support women.

It has been made very obvious how Romney feels about women over the course of his political career.  Whether it be equal pay or gender roles he has always pushed women aside.  My problem with politics is how uninformed the country as a whole is and how reliant people are on their parent's political affiliation.  Not enough people actively research what a politician believes in or has said over a full career.  Its disheartening really, when so many of these issues effect people daily and they remain ignorant to it.  I unfortunately live in the heart of the bible belt in South Carolina, and the racism and hate towards liberals has them brainwashed into voting for anyone with the Republican label.  As a whole I doubt anything said in the debates will swing many votes, but I will continue debating the nuts around here.

And speaking of Uncle Mittie, who COULD (bite your tongue!) be our next President, a little something about the beliefs of someone who could potentially run our country:

I really like the unbaptism of dead people. Sadly we would have to do so much research to determine who were atheist/humanist/freethinkers, before the unbaptism.

I expect that if we just said that we 'did it', would create a massive stink! 

When it was announced that Ann R's. father was an Atheist, my jaw dropped.

Mitt Romney didn't go to Vietnam because he was on a "Mission', making it sound like he was working for the government in some way.

When in fact, Romney was trying to convert the French into Mormons - abysmal failure - not one convert - and he needed some converts under his belt, so Ann's Dad came up. I would say Mitt just spent a lot of time in the coffee shops, looking at the beautiful French women :)

Xianity 54% - No religion 31% - Islam 4% - Judaism 1% - Buddhism 1%.

The majority of xians are catholics - where confession priests are run off their feet :)

Unbaptism of the dead - it is a joke - and brilliantly funny.

On Tuesday night, Mitt Romney moved to build his support among female voters by boasting during the presidential debate that he had named more women to senior positions as Massachusetts governor than did the governors of any other state.

It was perhaps not his best moment. By Wednesday morning, skeptics pounced on his claim, citing a 2007 academic study that concluded that when Mr. Romney left office in December 2006, the share of women in top policy-making jobs was actually smaller than it was under his Republican predecessor.

Moreover, women’s rights advocates said that Mr. Romney had falsely claimed to be the inspiration for promoting women to high positions when in fact a women’s political organization had conceived and largely executed it.

After badly trailing President Obama among women, Mr. Romney has recently racked up impressive gains in their support in some polls, and the battle for the female vote has emerged as a crucial factor in next month’s election.

In Tuesday’s debate, Mr. Romney seized on an audience question about equal pay for women to cite his record in Massachusetts, where he was governor from January 2003 to December 2006.

“I had the — the chance to pull together a cabinet, and all the applicants seemed to be men. And I — and I went to my staff, and I said, ‘How come all the people for these jobs are — are all men?’ ” he said. “I went to a number of women’s groups and said, ‘Can you help us find folks?’ And they brought us whole binders full of — of women. I was proud of the fact that after I staffed my cabinet and my senior staff that the University of New York in Albany did a survey of all 50 states and concluded that mine had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state in America.”

On Wednesday, Mr. Romney’s assertion that he approached women’s groups and accumulated “whole binders full of women” drew much of the heat, as well as guffaws over Mr. Romney’s strained syntax.

(more at the source)

I don't think Mormonism encourages women to enter the workplace, especially in situations where they will have men under them.

Views expressed on this Mormon site should be instructive.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Do you let your guy cum inside you?

Started by Sophie. Last reply by James Cox Aug 28, 2013. 89 Replies

Domestic Violence Solutions...

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck May 12, 2013. 45 Replies

WHY must we wear a bra?

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by RockyShukura Apr 24, 2013. 57 Replies

Grow a Vagina!

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Simon Paynton Mar 27, 2013. 24 Replies

Female and Atheist

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Belle Rose Mar 19, 2013. 87 Replies

Blog Posts

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 2 Comments

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service