cast your vote against the phrase "In God We Trust" on Georgia Plates at https://etax.dor.ga.gov/TagContest.aspx

Tags: GA, Georgia, God, In, License, Plates, Trust, We

Views: 291

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to suggest using a license plate frame that covers the offending motto. But in the People's Republic of Georgia, every driver must fully display the symbol of his trust in the cosmic Great Leader.

It would make an interesting legal challenge for an atheist to cover up the motto. Provoke a ticketing or arrest, then challenge in court the right of Georgia to make non-believers display a profession of faith for the state under threat of criminal prosecution, fines, imprisonment and other punishment.

-----------------------------------

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 2 - REGISTRATION AND LICENSING OF MOTOR VEHICLES
ARTICLE 2 - REGISTRATION AND LICENSING GENERALLY
§ 40-2-41 - Display of license plates

O.C.G.A. 40-2-41 (2010)
40-2-41. Display of license plates

Unless otherwise permitted under this chapter, every vehicle required to be registered under this chapter, which is in use upon the highways, shall at all times display the license plate issued to the owner for such vehicle, and the plate shall be fastened to the rear of the vehicle in a position so as not to swing and shall be at all times plainly visible. No person shall display on the rear of a motor vehicle any temporary or permanent plate or tag not issued by the State of Georgia which is intended to resemble a license plate which is issued by the State of Georgia. The commissioner is authorized to adopt rules and regulations so as to permit the display of a license plate on the front of certain vehicles. It shall be the duty of the operator of any vehicle to keep the license plate legible at all times. No license plate shall be covered with any material unless the material is colorless and transparent. No apparatus that obstructs or hinders the clear display and legibility of a license plate shall be attached to the rear of any motor vehicle required to be registered in the state. Any person who violates any provision of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

I will be in Atlanta in November for a day or two and may attempt to rent a car. I will object to the wording on the plate and let them know that I am disgusted with them. Then I will put my “I don’t care for your god” on the rear before I drive away. I am finding it difficult to get arrested for blasphemy in Ireland so maybe my luck will change. I wonder what David Silverman of AA would say if he got a rental there ;-)

Well to be fair the sticker is entirely optional. Someone has to own the car and say, "Yes, I want the God sticker". It's not actually part of the license plate. I guess that's how it's easier to get away with it. My plate has the standard county sticker.

It's not right that the government provides them, but at least it's not quite the same as the 'lovely' Dollar bills. Sure you can marker over the "In God We Trust' on them if you're inclined, but they come that way off the press. :-(

I seriously want an "In FSM We Trust" sticker to put in the same spot on my license plate just to mess with people. I wonder if that would be 'illegal' haha. That's when I'd furiously protest.

Oh and, welcome to Atlanta in advance Reg!

If you get a rental, it could have been registered in any state so it's possible that it will have a different state tag from the state that you are visiting.

It's not pre-printed on the license plate. They offer you a sticker with the motto on it at the tag office. Sometimes. When I registered my vehicle, the lady didn't ask if I wanted one. They didn't have any of the stickers sitting around. Also, there was no sign that I saw that notified people in line that they could also get an "In God We Trust" sticker, but that could have just been I was. Even still, it's a heavily religious area, and quite frankly I was surprised at how little it was played up.

Those stickers are also free.

Now I want one !!!

I want a million of them, that should cost the righteous a bit of cash. :)

RSS

Atheist Sites

Discussion Forum

In God We Trust License Plates-Action Needed ASAP

Started by Dayna Goldstein. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas Jul 4. 20 Replies

Growing up in Church...

Started by Beka. Last reply by Dale Headley Dec 6, 2012. 8 Replies

Anyone there?

Started by Brother Gabe Rodriguez. Last reply by Eric Vassy Dec 5, 2012. 8 Replies

Schools

Started by Amanda Gibson. Last reply by kdp666 Jul 31, 2011. 1 Reply

Macon City Council Meeting

Started by Garrison Oct 8, 2010. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service