So, who in this group grew up in church? Which denomination? Was it crowded and big, or small and cozy? Any snake handlers, lol?

Views: 187

Replies to This Discussion

I never had to deal with that, thank God (lol). My parents, despite identifying as Baptist (and insisting that I was one too) both hated church and saw it as a horrible judgmental place to be avoided. Thankfully, my family was never really religious at all, except in name. I was the most religious person in my family, honestly.
I was borin in Baltimore, went to Catholic church and school there, no big deal. At the age of 10 I moved to south Georgia, Tattnall County to be exact, we then went to a Baptist church due to the lack of English Catholic churches. I never really was apart of the church, but I went and hung out with kids my age and went to service Around the age of 15 I started to hate that place, and at the age of 18 I knew I was an Atheist.

My parents identify themselves as "Charismatic Protestants", although the closest denominations we found ourselves in were baptist. I was pretty anti-social as a kid, though, and never really interacted with the youth groups I found myself in.

Eventually though, we split off from going to church and had our own sunday meetings where my grandmother would teach. When she passed away, our fmaily resorted to watching tediously long videos (Like John Haggie's end times series, or Kent Hovind's Creation "science" lectures) and performing our own bible studies. The end of the world hysteria that resulted from our bible studies was probably one of the biggest factors in my abandoning religion altogether.

Raised strict Southern Baptist. Once I was old enough I ALWAYS felt like something wasn't right about all of it. I got more and more skeptical as I went through school, college, grad school and on. The last straw was a stretch where I completely dedicated myself to Biblical study, mission trips, the whole deal. THOSE things were what finally made me give up and on the idea of a supernatural 'force' or being that was in charge and created our existence. No I am an atheist. 

I didn’t grow up in a church.  But, in my early adulthood I attended a Baptist church regularly for 5 years.  Actually, I was an atheist at the time, and only attended in order to be eligible for their adult football and basketball teams; and to scope out the girls.  

The point is, I had enough experience with what church is all about to understand the hypocrisy and sanctimonious mentality of the average churchgoer.

The last day I ever attended a church service was in 1963.  A traveling evangelist/revivalist came and, though he wasn’t literally a snake handler, he might as well have been.  That was the final straw.  You can only get me into a church these days for a wedding or a funeral. 

RSS

Discussion Forum

In God We Trust License Plates-Action Needed ASAP

Started by Dayna Goldstein. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas Jul 4. 20 Replies

Growing up in Church...

Started by Beka. Last reply by Dale Headley Dec 6, 2012. 8 Replies

Anyone there?

Started by Brother Gabe Rodriguez. Last reply by Eric Vassy Dec 5, 2012. 8 Replies

Schools

Started by Amanda Gibson. Last reply by kdp666 Jul 31, 2011. 1 Reply

Macon City Council Meeting

Started by Garrison Oct 8, 2010. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service