I want to hear which you think is better, real reasons please. Not just, well I think Mac is stupid and for hipsters..or Aw PCs are for poor people..or crap like that. Thank you :)

Views: 1051

Replies to This Discussion

The OS's are different in the consumer machines as are the cosmetics. If someone is willing to pay two or three times the $ just to get a machine that looks cool and belong to a rather smug community of early adopter spendthrifts, I think they are stupid. As for the OS's, most of the bugginess of Windows is gone now, and having owned and used an Apple computer for a year or so, I can tell you it had its own problems.

Owning a PC, one has vastly more software choices, often including free software which is more than up to almost any task the average user may need. I'm doing my taxes with free software. I have Open Office's suite installed, and freeware allowing me to save any document as a PDF. I play movies with VLC Media Player. I pay for specialized photo processing software, but only because I take photos on an industrial scale, and even then it costs less than $100.

It's looking like OS's are becoming irrelevant as a consideration more and more.

I really wish Apple had NOT gone with Intel, as now I have thousands of dollars worth of software that won't work on an Intel machine.

Actually, our first Mac was an SE. We didn't get the Mac SE30 until 1989! It came with a whopping 40 megabyte hard drive. Our IBM Personal System/2 Model 50; before the Model 70, came with a 50 megabyte hard drive. Oh the memories!!! LOL….

Do you remember Quarkxpress? Leaps and bounds beyond Aldus Pagemaker and anything Microsoft put out at the time. Most publishing houses, in New York City, turned to it exclusively when handling our publishing files off disc.

Remember Hypercard? Had fun with that little program and my kids. Made flash cards of the alphabet with voice overs. When it got to the letter "M" i inserted a picture of a monkey and when my son Steven clicked on the little speaker he got, "M" is for monkey, like Steven". His eyes opened wide and he just started laughing. He was five.

Apple has always produced good software, but over the years the PC world has caught up, and many of the leading programs for Mac are now available on PC. Photoshop, for example.

I still have QuarkXpress! As well as Adobe PageMaker!

I've used both and I have to say I prefer Mac (OS X Mountain Lion to be more precise). 

I know Windows has come a long way from its previous OS systems and good on them. But my preference of OS is mac. Its faster, less prone to get viruses, has better applications in my opinion. For incidence I literally cannot stand using Microsoft Word, its a terrible word processing application. Apple Pages is far superior in my opinion. And lets face it Microsoft Internet Explorer is the worst web browse to ever be created. 

Apple also has superior applications when it comes to web design, video editing and image editing. Which is perfect for me as a web design student. So I'm very happy to be using mac over pc

I present you with my personal award - use it in good health!

If you like Mac OSX, don't thank apple, they didn't do jack to make it.  It is unix based, and you can get a Linux distro (also unix based) for free, that will have relatively similar UI, more customization option, is faster, and more reliable.   Did I mention that 99% of software for it is free. 

My son is into Linux. Over the years I've tried SEVERAL times to move my personal computing to Ubuntu (I dual-boot to the latest release) - always to return "home" to Windows. It's not just a matter of being unused to the GUI, (which I find troublesome) it's that key, central function don't work or just plain fall over. I feel like I'm on Windows 3.0.

OSX, (which BTW I hate) NEVER falls over like that. If Apple didn't invent OS, then they certainly did a whole lot to stabilize it.

The choice is between a perfect world like the one in the movie Ted where it's perfect because someone is managing it for you, or a world like the real world where things are a lot more complicated because no one is. You use or buy a Windows app and you're on your own as to how well it works, but the trade off is a much wider selection and a far greater compatibility with other computers (even Apple computers can run most Windows software well enough to be useful, if not as well as on Windows machines).

In the phone and tablet world, it can be argued that Apple's products have far more apps than Android products. The last time I looked, it was a several orders of magnitude difference. BUT the gap is rapidly closing, and the Android world has the advantage Windows has of being open, but at the same expense of being less predictable.

It's not just a matter of being unused to the GUI, (which I find troublesome) it's that key, central function don't work or just plain fall over.

If you tried Ubuntu (and not Kubuntu) between 2004 and last year you would have been using the GNOME desktop environment. (Now it uses Unity.) Which GUI functions did not work or failed over? I switched to Ubuntu with GNOME in 2006 (Dapper Drake) specifically because Ubuntu was becoming a king-maker Linux distro. This, due to its reliability and GNOME's uniformity.

I have never seen an application released into production with Ubuntu that did not work or that just failed. Never. It's unthinkable. I would be less surprised if you had told me the government of New Zealand was successfully breeding eight-legged chickens.

Sure, I've installed applications from the Linux ecosystem that were crap and didn't work right. But multiple flameouts in the standard user-facing GUI of GNOME, ones that made it by legions of proud code monkeys, got blessed by the Linux gods, and then were released into the sparkling wild for the glory of all "type-A personality" geeks to see? Once discovered that would have caused an out-and-out stoning. Or worse, the culprits would have been kicked out of their Dungeons and Dragons campaigns.

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service