Hint: it isn't a ticket to apply your personal convictions to the entire country.

(Click for fullsize) I shared this on Facebook tonight only to receive an ignorant comment (of course). In their defense they don't know that I am no longer a believer, but I do frequently post things about my very obviously left-wing beliefs. Usually my Christian acquaintances don't bother to reply to them, but I got this one tonight: "The Bible says not to do this in Romans chapter one...just sayin"

... >:/ I don't know why the concept of religious freedom is such a difficult one for Christians to grasp, but it strikes me as one of the single most ignorant, arrogant things. What gives you the right to dictate the way an entire country lives their lives just because your religious convictions hold you to it? Good for you! Live that way then! Leave everyone else alone.

I just said "The Bible may but the constitution does not. The laws abiding over a land of religiously free individuals should not be limited to one or any religious text. Religious freedom means all religious, whether that be Christian or Muslim or absolutely no religion, so the government needs to reflect such and keep all of it out of itself in order to be fair and stable." Also threw in some Thomas Jefferson for good measure: "'Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with solemn reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.'"

Tags: civil, facevook, freedom, gay, of, religion, rights

Views: 79

Replies to This Discussion

@ Dizzieduckie - So, did you decide to say anything back to them?

I said what I wrote in the last paragraph, but after that for some reason I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it and just made the post only visible to my "close friends" group (which is who knows I'm agnostic) because it stressed me out I guess.

I said what I wrote in the last paragraph, but after that for some reason I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it and just made the post only visible to my "close friends" group (which is who knows I'm agnostic) because it stressed me out I guess.

@ Dizzieduck - Ah. I see now where you wrote "I said" in your OP. I missed that. I am a doofus today.

I wonder if the Christian who brought up Romans scriptures to you, saw the reply before you hid it from him/her?

Once, I accidentally liked a Think Atheist thread to my Facebook and did not catch it until the next day. I still worry that people may have seen it lol.

I have gone as far as saying I am agnostic on Facebook, but the atheist word, now that's a whole different thing as far as people on my Facebook are concerned. I have enough problems. I don't want to deal with the fallout if I were to admit to being being atheist.

No problem, lol!

I'm not sure. I thought about unhiding it... It just seems like sometimes y'gotta choose your battles... Confrontation/arguments (which is what it seems Christians usually turn this kind of thing into) really stress me out. Think I should unhide it or just leave it?

Yeah, a select few know of my agnosticism but one of the two family members I told went completely nuts and obviously my respect of their right to believe what they wanted didn't apply the other way around. I know that if people can't accept me for what I believe that they're not worth having in my life, but that doesn't make it any easier for me to simply let go of people I love so much.

@ - Dizzyduckie - Of course ultimately it is your decision but personally, I would not do it until I was positive I was ready to deal with the negative consequences. It seems many times people are surprised at how badly people react to their 'coming out' as an atheist.

You posted a status that said you were frustrated. What happened?

Ugh... Another Facebook thing. Fairly long to copy and paste but in short:  a family member posted a status about how being judgmental is a sin. I immediately posted a comment that just said that if someone who had judged me very openly before 'liked' or commented that they agreed, I'd laugh. I also said that those people would probably not even be aware that they were hypocrites. Sure enough, the one specific person who I had "come out" to commented in agreement. The one person who over the past few months has judged me very openly about many things that she had no business even asking about, nevermind judging me for.

So then I post a link to this as my own status with the text "This very accurately depicts my current state of mind.": http://i45.tinypic.com/15505jo.gif and she comments on that too, with "Ohh, why?? :D LOL" Way over her head. She just doesn't even see it.

I'm sure it seems like nothing but my keeping this a secret (and the way she is such a massive hypocrite about judging others by the way she's treated me) just makes me want to scream and cry. Agh.

I immediately posted a comment that just said that if someone who had judged me very openly before 'liked' or commented that they agreed, I'd laugh.

@ Dizzyduckie - Would you mind rephrasing that sentence? I'm not sure I understand what you meant.

I'm sorry. Here's what I wrote word-for-word: "If anyone 'likes' this who has judged me or anyone I love, I will laugh so hard that I might die. Seriously. And I bet they will! "

@ Dizzyduckie - Oh I see what you meant now. The Conan link was hilarious lol. People are strange. I hope you get over feeling like you want to scream and cry soon. Just chalk it up to people being ignorant.

lol, thanks. I'm a Tumblr user so I like to express my emotions through gifs. XD

I'll get over it eventually, it just sucks!

RSS

Discussion Forum

Give Yourself Credit.

Started by Shanna. Last reply by Shanna Feb 1, 2012. 4 Replies

I cant decide if I should reply!

Started by Seth Hunter peterson. Last reply by Onmyown Jan 31, 2012. 1 Reply

Tornadoes

Started by Atheist Mama. Last reply by Onmyown Jan 29, 2012. 12 Replies

Skycomet's Annoying Post #1 - Fundie Fumes about "Easter Quiz Post"

Started by Skycomet the Fallen Angel. Last reply by Atheist Exile Jun 2, 2011. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service