I hail from the bible belt and still have Facebook friends who are in AR, TX and OK--the vast majority of whom are Christian. After last night's round of extreme weather, my wall is full of posts like this one: 

Yay it's all over for us.....time for bed!! Thank you Jesus for doing what you do! :) hope everyone is safe and that your power is back on soon! Goodnight FB I bid you adieu!!

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to post a reply to this.  I mean, it must have been scary for her to be in a tornado, she must be really glad that she and her family are fine, but I'm just freaking offended by her praising Jesus when there has been so much destruction.  Here's the reply I wrote but haven't posted:

You mean not stopping the tornadoes that killed 15 people yesterday alone and 500 people this season? I get being grateful for being unscathed, but did Jesus let down the other 500 people (and their entire families) who were killed?

I'm not sure why I'm afraid to hit "enter" and post this.  Maybe I'm afraid of kicking her while she's down, so to speak.  Or maybe I'm not looking forward to being flamed, which I surely will be.  Or maybe I'm just to effing nice for my own good...always looking out for how everyone else feels.

That's it.  Just a vent.

Views: 97

Replies to This Discussion

That's what this venting is for.  To perhaps not hit the "enter" with them and vent with folks that have the same experience. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/NonStampCollector#p/u/11/jrX__ILDd3w

Welcome to the group Atheist Mama. Thank you for posting.

Uhhhhhhhh! I know what you mean. I really hate those underhanded tactics Chirstians have a way of using to promote their savior (or their own delusion is a better way to put it). Praise him when things work out - mums the word, when they don't. You NEVER EVER hear someone on the news looking at all the devestation after a tornado and saying "praise Jesus that this happened."

I would be so so so tempted also to hit enter. I am too effing nice also. If you don't hit enter, I admire your restraint. If you do hit enter, maybe your Christian friend will think twice before making such comments. Most likley though, it will earn you a big fat delete lol.

LOL. I did hit the enter button two nights ago on FB.  It was a personal message to a person and I wish I didn't the next morning. I get fired up over things. I feel like this FB Venting site is suppose to help.  But whatever.  You know?! Sometimes you just DO IT.
I guess I'll vent now.  This person is a fundie that DOES believe in the second coming of christ and the rapture. But was moking Harold Camping. But to me this person and Camping are NO different. The ONLY difference is Camping put a date on it. Why should this person be laughing.

Gloria wrote:  I feel like this FB Venting site is suppose to help.  But whatever.  You know?! Sometimes you just DO IT.

LOL. I know. Sometimes you just blow and let the chips fall where they may. 

I recently sent my Christian aunt an e-mail that basically said I was tired of people telling me to pray for a certain bad situation for someone in my family. I said the type of problem that it is, it cannot simply be prayed away. Actually, I told her I was going to go ballistic if one more person said that to me (tell the person to turn in prayer to God about the situation).

I wonder if I'll ever hear from her again? I don't really care. We were not close. I don't have anything against her. She is a very nice person. I just got fed up with the religious references in her e-mails, when she knew I was agnostic (well that's what I told her anyway). 

I guess that was not very nice, what I did. But I just kind of 'blew'. Do I regret it? No, because I give myself credit for maintaining my composure as long as I did with her; which was about 1 year. Hey, I tried. That's all you can do sometimes.

Gloria wrote: 
I guess I'll vent now.  This person is a fundie that DOES believe in the second coming of christ and the rapture. But was moking Harold Camping. But to me this person and Camping are NO different. The ONLY difference is Camping put a date on it. Why should this person be laughing.

Yes, some Christians get all smug about the scripture that says no man knows the day or time when the Lord will return.  They don't get so smug about a lot of the scriptures that are controversial and contradictional though. I guess they have got to get some good smug jabs in whenever they can.

Oh Connie! How sad. Your son is simply wrong for doing this, and cruel to boot.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Give Yourself Credit.

Started by Shanna. Last reply by Shanna Feb 1, 2012. 4 Replies

I cant decide if I should reply!

Started by Seth Hunter peterson. Last reply by Onmyown Jan 31, 2012. 1 Reply

Tornadoes

Started by Atheist Mama. Last reply by Onmyown Jan 29, 2012. 12 Replies

Skycomet's Annoying Post #1 - Fundie Fumes about "Easter Quiz Post"

Started by Skycomet the Fallen Angel. Last reply by Atheist Exile Jun 2, 2011. 6 Replies

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service