i was reading a blog post written by Ericka M. Johnson is reply to a call for atheists all over the world to give some attention to Islam "Dear atheist, we ex-Muslims are waiting for you"

She has summarized why Islam is a consummation of all the worst that religion has to offer:

• Cult-like isolation from other world views means generation after generation is born into ignorance.
  • Circumcision of boys and girls because healthy children aren’t born perfect; they must have a knife taken to their genitals.
  • Leaving the faith means death. Apostasy is considered one of the worst crimes.
  • Treating women as sub-human pieces of property that must be beaten into obedience means at least half the population is silenced before they can speak.
  • Personalized angel duo watches you at every moment, keeping a tally of all the good and bad you do so that you can be judged when you die.
  • Reward of heaven is used as an incentive to kill and maim innocent people.
  • Unyielding dogma leaves no room for thoughtful criticism nor humor.
  • Islam means Submission. They want to be slaves to their god; it’s right there in the name.

it was very well written and thought i might share it here.

However i don't agree that we should be waiting for atheist from all over the world to fight our war while we wait and see .. i think we have more responsibilities as we know more of that religion and know the mentality deriving it .. we know exactly where it hurts.

it's our responsibility to speak out, criticize and question that religion.

Views: 844

Replies to This Discussion

I meant modern day where we have all heard of "god".

But yeah, I see what you're saying.

I read somewhere that when you run into a liberal and tolerant Muslim, you can be fairly sure that they can't quote The Q'ran chapter and verse. It's much the same with Christians.

The point being that once you have thoroughly read the thing, as a moderate Muslim, you must "fish or cut bait" as we sometimes say here--decide to be a fundamentalist or to reject it.

Likewise, many moderate Xians.  Though some who read the whole thing in seminary manage to hang on and become pastors in the moderate denominations.  (It's conceivable that they themselves lose their faith but decide the watered-down crap is suitable for the flock.)

@zenga - it sounds like it would be safe to say that among Muslims, much as among Christians, the least literate are the most devout, or at least the most fearful (for what is religion but fear of retribution for disbelief?).

The article I read was indicating that all the worst of Islam does have Q'ranic justification and that the "good" Muslims (not ex-muslims become atheists) simply didn't understand the horrors the book contained.

Zenga, I appreciate your position: make a move and you're silenced.  However, you've already advised me.  I know I'm being extremely naive, and the situation seems hopeless, but maybe 10 or 20 years down the line things could start to change if we play our cards right.  A clear system of morality based on reason has to be some kind of way forward, especially if it can be seen to come out of the mouths of The Prophet Mohammed and Jesus etc.  The oppressed are liberated and the oppressor becomes a human being.  That's the idea.  Everyone wins.  It can be possible to shift a culture from a paranoid dangerous one to a more tolerant caring one where everyone thrives.  I think it will be necessary to make it into a "science" or subject area for making formal study and a body of knowledge and thinking.  It's not very complicated at all.  Then it can be made more portable and easier to implement in different cultures.  The Dalai Lama is on our side, along with a huge number of others. 

"...of the mouths of The Prophet Mohammed and Jesus etc."

When reading about Jesus I tend to think "Seems like a nice enough character." When reading about Mohammed I think "This dood was friggin nuts!".

From the little I've read in the Qur'an Mohammed is a depraved, lunatic. 

What from Mohammed's mouth would you use for moral comparison?

But there is another problem: We all have a different set of morals.

Here are some quotes from the Prophet Mohammed which, in the main, directly coincide with the atheist moral framework. 

Some Quotes By Prophet Mohammed

It's true that we all have a different set of morals.  However, we can use evolution to justify a moral concept which gives rise to a certain set of moral values. 

I'm glad you reminded me, Jared - I wrote Michael some time ago, regarding the UN resolution I mentioned earlier dealing with making "disrespecting Islam" an international crime, and he responded, but I can't find his email now. I likely stored it somewhere before early onset alzheimers set in.

Is it really early onset alzheimers or is it benign dementia?

You're really expecting a rational answer from such a person?

RSS

Discussion Forum

Weekly Atheist Meetups

Started by Mohamed Zaki. Last reply by Mohamed Zaki on Tuesday. 18 Replies

The day of Ashura

Started by Hope. Last reply by Belle Rose Nov 2. 12 Replies

'Superman is an Arab'

Started by Hope. Last reply by Simon Paynton May 28. 1 Reply

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service