I wanna try alcohol for the first time but I'm absolutely ignorant in the subject so if any of you can answer these questions I would greatly appreciate it.

1) what drink do you recommend for a first timer who doesn't wanna get drunk?
2) how long do the effects of that drink last? My parents are muslims so they won't approve and I would get in serious trouble if they saw me and found out.
3) where can I get that drink?

I would prefer you don't suggest beer because I heard that it tastes like shit and I want something I would enjoy.

Views: 379

Replies to This Discussion

It may sound totally absurd to you, but have you considered that your parents might be right? (especially in light of your circumstances, age, location, etc.)

I drink - very occasionally, but I convinced my son to be a complete teetotaller. Here's what I told him: 

"If you go out with your buddies this weekend and have a few beers you're going to have a great time. That creates a problem. What happens is that, NEXT weekend you'll go out and maybe not drink. It's likely you won't have as good a time. There it is. You've just made a lifetime connection: fun = alcohol. Do want to carry that association around with you for the rest of your life?"

Chemically-induced "fun" is hard to equal. That's why, for MANY, alcohol brings problems.

Are you able to have fun without alcohol? Of course you are. Leave it at that.

As you age, you'll find there are MANY advantages to being alcohol-free. For one thing your fun can last all night (while your drunken friends are passed out).

My son found that he is really popular - partly because he is in demand as a "designated driver". He's fully into the night scene - he's a DJ. He has never wished (as all drinkers have at one time or another) that he had a clear head for dealing sensibly with unexpected situations.

Think VERY carefully before you decide to have even one drink. You might decide that it's not worth the consequences.

+1

+2

It's not absurd at all, it's completely reasonable.

I'm not really into the party scene, I'm pretty introverted so that kind of "fun" isn't appealing to me don't worry :)

okay, normal beer tastes like shit. Coors, Miller, Bud, all the name brands are literally poorly brewed beer made in the interest of mass production. Find a specialty liquor shop that sells beer, and ask them to help you find a good one. I've always disliked beer and have never found anything even remotely appetizing about it, until my brother in law got me to try a stout. Stouts are very dark and strong tasting beers, and they taste better when poured very carefully down the side of a tall frosted mug. The one he had me try tasted of roasted coffee and chocolate. You will however smell of alcohol after drinking beer. Next choice would be cider or hard lemonade. Mikes, Woodchucks, Angry Orchard, and Jeremiah Weed are all ciders and lemonades that I have tried and enjoyed. They will sneak up on you however, so be careful. Wine coolers sometimes come in small bottles, and they usually taste pretty good.

Really, the only thing I can say is try anything at least once, and don't let one bad experience deter you from trying a different brand of a similar product. Drink responsibly, don't drive, and don't visit any online stores.

I don't want to keep trying different kinds because I don't want to get used to alcohol, I just wanted to try it once or twice. Also I can't frequent bars and such places in my circumstances, going will need planning xD but thank you for your suggestions I'll keep them in mind when I have the opportunity to try alcohol.

Oh hellos Dream, finally in action here..In Egypt you should drink Stella ofcourse that our local beer girl.. and i never heard anyone say they like beer first many times they drink it but it becomes very normal later.

I would suggest a nice smooth cocktail though to start with like Bloody Mary. You can also try ID with some flavour you can get from drinkies anywhere in egypt. And also try white wine like Ayam, or CapeBay in Egypt. You can try Sangria as well.

To drink bloody mary, sangria or any cocktail you may go to Pub 28 in Zamalek. Or Deals in Helio or Zamalek too. 

Cheers

Haha yeah just proving I'm not dead.
Stella eh bs now is not the time to promote local brands. It will taste worse than Heineken.

I tried ID yesterday and here's what I discovered:
1) I'm really light-weight. I only took a few gulps and I got really lightheaded. I was sober but I was slow. Overall it wasn't a pleasant experience. If all alcohol will make me feel like that then I don't want it.

Anyway do these pubs allow 20 year olds? I'm not legal yet.

You'll get past that sensation. And perhaps sipping rather than gulping. Make a drink last. 

On the other hand, there's no law saying you have to drink alcohol.

Its alc. sometimes even after years of drinking you take a few sips of beer and you get dizzy. Just keep on tasting whenever you get the chance till you find something you like..

"The possibilities are endless"... :d

You have to be 21 for those places, nonetheless there are places that allow 20 its downtown cairo

Couldn't have, it tasted awful.

Yup, I'm not even looking to get drunk so I don't know why I want this

Beer is an acquired taste, though it remains one of the main ways drinkers start drinking due to low cost (for the weakest- and foulest-tasting crap) and wide availability.

Probably the best way to start off easy is to mix your own drink. Because it's tasty, I'd start with rum & Coke (or add lime and it's a cuba libre, which I think tastes better). I'd start with a tall 12- or 16-oz glass with a few ice cubes in it. A  half shot of rum in a glass that size filled to the brim with Coke will give a beginner a buzz.

Alcohol enters the system almost immediately upon contact with your mouth (yeah, it doesn't even need to  get down to the stomach), so don't chug it down. Sip it. Make it last at least a half hour.

Later on, you'll learn to like good beer, which is heavy and very bitter. Craft/micro beers are incredibly delicious once you learn to like beer.

You'll learn to enjoy wine as well.

For now, the rule is to take it easy and pace yourself. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Discussion Forum

Cosmos in arabic

Started by Marvel. Last reply by archaeopteryx on Thursday. 5 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com