well since nobody started any discussion about this, i think i might go right ahead...
i've been wondering how other Atheist perceived death,

As for me..i've began thinking about death as soon as i've began questioning about religion / god in my earlier stage.
I must say that it scares me alot.....to become nothingness, not knowing anything, not feeling anything, not able to think, ect...well you get my point.

But lately, i've seen it in a different perspective....i'm not actually scared of all that, what i'm actually scared is..to leave the world where my words, my existence, my connection fades away in time.

Sometimes i even envy the religious people, because they believe when they died...their soul went to either heaven or hell...or in other religion, purgatory then heaven; Not that i want to believe, it just that i cant believe.

so the question is how do you see death as it is ?

Tags: death

Views: 279

Replies to This Discussion

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

― Mark Twain

So you just go back to how you were before. Simple.

“Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?”

~Epicurus~

Epicurus was a cool frood!

Yes he was.

Dying is an experience, death is not. So, I fear dying much more than death. 

Even a natural death can be hard and messy. I know. I spent the last years of my father's life with him on a daily basis, often helping him deal with his loss of bladder and bowel control, and was with him in the hospital when the cascade of bodily system failures left him in agony with the mind of a newborn.

Thus, when I witnessed his last breath and saw how peaceful his body had become, I was grateful that his struggle to exist was over.

In fact, a bullet in the brain in battle might actually be one of the better ways to go rather than dying in agony of cancer or some other disease that takes its time with you.

If anyone wants to know what death is like, ask a stand-up comedian I hear most of them have died several times. ;)

Ultimately, life is something that is universal amongst everyone which means that it could be safely said that it is something that we could agree on being real or an experience that we all feel. We experience it with no sentient thought or memory of anything else beyond birth. With that said, I dont know why some people are more concerned with the preparation of a life after this one especially when its existence cannot be exactly proven or known whereas a life as we know it today is something we can be definitely sure of. Why not focus on making this world a better place rather than selfishly devoting the majority of your time worshiping some god or another to hopefully make it into their good books so that they would get into heaven. 

Or worse yet, not caring what happens to this world, believing the "Rapture" is right around the corner, and it won't make a difference if we turn Earth into a barren, lifeless desert.

RSS

Discussion Forum

Death as it is

Started by Okinawa R.. Last reply by archaeopteryx Sep 13, 2013. 21 Replies

Memorials

Started by Skycomet the Fallen Angel May 28, 2012. 0 Replies

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service