Sweet Moment

Ah what a beautiful day. This morning I met with four of my cycling friends at 6 AM at our local favorite coffee shop for our Thursday ride up Mingus mountain. Mingus sets to the west of Cottonwood, AZ. About 11 miles into our climb we reach the famous old ghost town of Jerome, AZ. Jerome is now quite a tourist trap but for us it makes a great rest stop before heading on up to the summit.

Kevin, Main Street Jerome

Mark reaches Jerome

Three of the riders had climbed enough by the time they hit the fire station in Jerome so they decided to only ride about three quarters of a mile further up to a lookout point. My friend Kevin and I continued onto the summit. It had been really hot and muggy on our way up because we are in the midst of our monsoon season, but as we continued our ascent the air became much cooler. The summit of Mingus is about seven miles beyond Jerome on a narrow winding two lane road that is in need of a resurfacing project. Still it is really nice to be able to ride from the desert below up into the cool pines in such a short distance. Once at the top Kevin and I took a few minutes to rest and take in the luscious mountain air. Then back onto the bicycles for a really fast and thrilling ride back down the mountain. On the way down Kevin suddenly signaled that some thing was in the road.

This Picture of wild Javelina was taken in our yard.

A startled javelina was trapped between us and the bank and he looked as if he might bolt out into our path. At these high speeds hitting a creature of this size could be deadly. Fortunately for us the peccary kept his cool and we passed without incident. Below Jerome the road is in great shape and it is not to difficult to hit 50 mph on this section. In minutes you have descended from 7000 feet back to 3200 feet.

Kevin and I headed back to the coffee shop where we were met by our wives. Wow what a great feeling to have conquered the mountain and then to just sit around and enjoy iced organic dark roast coffee and friends.

My wife Glenda

Relaxing after our ride

The four of us probably spent an hour just visiting and talking about the poor scared javelina before heading home.

Views: 4

Replies to This Discussion

This was a local club ride - Grizzly Peak Cyclists - route is called Tunitas Creek Loop crosses the Santa Cruz Mountains from Woodside to Pescadero then north to Tunitas Creek and back to Woodside - much of the ride in redwood forests - very beautiful
Attachments:
Looks and sounds like a great ride.

RSS

Discussion Forum

2012 USA Pro Cycling Challege host cities announced

Started by Scott A. Hunt. Last reply by Scott A. Hunt Dec 15, 2011. 2 Replies

Mingus Mountain

Started by Dennis Paul Renner Jul 5, 2011. 0 Replies

Back Touring Again

Started by Dennis Paul Renner Jun 6, 2011. 0 Replies

MAG, Arizona is Bicycle Friendly

Started by Dennis Paul Renner. Last reply by Dennis Paul Renner Apr 24, 2011. 1 Reply

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service